Rugby Week video, rugby highlights, video  | Rugby Video Highlights
- - - - - - - -

London Wasps vs Newport Gwent Dragons | LV= Cup Official Highlights - London Wasps vs Newport Gwent

Thanks! Share it with your friends!


You disliked this video. Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry, only registred users can create playlists.

Added by Administrator in AngloWelsh Newport Dragons Wasps


A last-gasp penalty from Steffan Jones ensured Newport Gwent Dragons secured a 30-29 victory over Wasps in the LV= Cup at Adams Park.

Jones finished with a 20-point haul - four penalties, two drop goals and a conversion - and sent over the winning kick after Hugo Southwell was sin-binned for obstruction.

The Dragons' 17-year-old full-back Hallam Amos had earlier celebrated becoming the youngest Welsh player to appear in regional rugby with a 31st-minute try, only to lose his record when 16-year-old team-mate Jack Dixon took the field two minutes later.

The visitors' other try came from prop Phil Price, while Wasps crossed the line through John Hart, Tom Varndell, Ross Filipo and Joe Simpson.

Price struck after only three minutes, forcing his way over following an effective rolling maul before fly-half Ryan Davis opened Wasps' account four minutes later with his side's only penalty of the match.

But the lead was stretched as Jones slotted over a superbly-struck 14th minute drop goal from only two metres inside the Wasps half, before landing a penalty three minutes later.

Hart then scored Wasps' first try after rounding off a move involving Elliot Daly and Filipo, with Davis converting to make it 11-10.

 Jones responded with his second penalty before centre Chris Bell's one-handed reverse pass created another try for Wasps, which finished with Hart playing in Varndell.Dragons took only two minutes to move back in front, however, as Amos' converted try made it 21-17.

Wasps then squandered a golden opportunity to go back in front before half-time as Christian Wade went over in the corner, but the score was chalked off as Varndell's final pass was forward.

Summer signing Filipo collected his first Wasps try three minutes into the second half when the hosts were allowed to play the advantage after Ifan Evans denied them a try by deliberately knocking on.

Wasps moved the ball the full width of the pitch before hooker Tom Lindsay and prop Jeremy Castex provided the final two passes for Filipo to go over in the right corner.

But Jones booted the Dragons back into a 24-22 lead with a penalty from the halfway line, while the hosts introduced Dominic Waldouck for the first time since he underwent Achilles tendon surgery six months ago.

Wasps replacement Nicky Robinson shaved the outside of the post with a penalty and then missed a drop-goal attempt as the hosts tried to get back as the match entered the closing stages.

Jones landed his second drop goal for the Dragons six minutes from time but Simpson darted over with three minutes to go and Robinson converted to give Wasps a six-point lead.

But their celebrations proved to be premature as the immaculate Jones had the final say.

Commenting disabled.