Sale Sharks crush London Welsh

Sale Sharks added further pain for Premiership strugglers London Welsh by scoring eight tries in their 12-52 victory at the Kassam Stadium.

Sale Sharks outscored London Welsh by eight tries to two in the Premiership match.

Sale moved into the top half of the table after the romp against at Kassam Stadium.

Steve Diamond said he was keen to avoid an upset pre-game, but there was never any chance of that happening in what turned out to be a stroll for the Sharks.

This will rank amongst one of the more disheartening performances for the relegation doomed Welsh, as they failed to build on an early try against a rampant Sale team.

After such a ruthless display, there may be some Sharks fans who will be dreaming of an unlikely charge towards the play-offs.

To say that Welsh’s return to the Premiership hasn’t gone to plan would be somewhat of an understatement, no wins in 13 before kickoff, but they showed a flash of promise with the first try of the game.

Rob Lewis intercepted a sloppy Sale pass 70 metres from his own try line, and charged all the way untouched to bring some cheer to his side’s beleaguered fans.

As has been the way this season, that early promise was extinguished moments later, with Mike Haley finishing off a slick Sharks attack to level the scores.

There was an inevitability about Sale’s second try, as Welsh’s scrum crumbled. That gave Dave Seymour a chance to break, and he fed in hooker Tommy Taylor who scored his first try of the season.

Sale were one try off a bonus point before the half hour mark, with Will Addison racing 40 metres to cross over. Welsh already looked a spent force in what has been a chastening campaign.

When Welsh looked at their remaining fixtures, they must have pinpointed this one as a potential first win, but when Taylor ran in his second try a few minutes before the break it was clear that the game was all but over.

That wrapped up the bonus point for Sale, as everything went to plan for Diamond’s side, including a fifth try by Tom Arscott try on the stroke of half time.

It was Arscott who continued the thrashing at the start of the second half with a well worked score.

Opeti Fonua got one back for Welsh as they looked to restore some pride, but it was ultimately a tame second period.

Mark Cueto rolled back the years late on with, running over half the length of the field for Sale’s seventh try. Will Addison brought up the half century with a late try.

Final Score London Welsh 12 (7) Sale Sharks 52 (35)


London Welsh
Tries – Lewis, Fonua
Pen –
Con – Jewell
Drop –
Cards –

Sale Sharks
Tries – Haley, Taylor (2), Addison (2), Arscott (2), Cueto
Pen –
Con – MacLeod (5), Ford
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
Referee : Tim Wigglesworth


London Welsh

15 Jewell , 14 Stegmann , 13 Reynolds , 12 Tincknell , 11 Scott , 10 Barkley , 9 Lewis , 1 Trevett , 2 Britton , 3 Vea , 4 West , 5 Down , 6 Thorpe , 7 Kirwan , 8 Fonua

Replacements : 16 Morris , 17 Aholelei , 18 Gilding , 19 Corker , 20 Pienaar , 21 Weepu , 22 Robinson , 23 Lewis

Sale Sharks

15 Haley , 14 Addison , 13 Leota , 12 Tuitupou , 11 Arscott , 10 MacLeod , 9 Cusiter , 1 Roberts , 2 Taylor , 3 Cobilas , 4 Mills , 5 Hines , 6 Braid , 7 Seymour , 8 Beaumont

Replacements: 16 Jones , 17 Cobilas , 18 Harrison , 19 Lund , 20 Easter , 21 Cliff , 22 Ford , 23 Cueto

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.