Newcastle Falcons put the boot into Gloucester

Newcastle Falcons earned their third Aviva Premiership victory of the season when they beat Gloucester 20-10 at Kingston Park on Friday.

Gloucester got the scoring off to a spectacular start with a try for John Afoa literally seconds after the referee had blown his whistle to start the game.

The Falcons were able to respond with three successful penalties for Rory Clegg, giving them a very narrow 9-7 lead at the end of the first half.

Billy Burns gave Gloucester their only points of the second half with their first penalty kick of the game, which dampened the spirit of their strong start.

Clegg scored two further penalties for Newcastle and Sinoti Sinoti claimed a try to give the underdogs a victory on their own patch.

With barely 25 seconds of the game gone, captain Matt Kvesic charged down a Newcastle kick and Afoa dived on the ball just before it went out of play to get the game off to an impressive start for the visitors.

Play stopped whilst Gloucester winger Charlie Sharples received treatment and he eventually left the field.

Newcastle were awarded a penalty but Clegg missed his first attempt, only for the Falcons to be given another chance mere seconds later and this time Clegg did not miss the opportunity.

The Falcons fly-half went on to score two further penalties but it only secured his team a two point advantage, with the score at 9-7 at the half time whistle.

An early penalty for Newcastle in the second half scored by Clegg was soon followed by their first try of the game.

Sinoti was on the end of a series of excellent passes by the team to dive over the line and put his side comfortably ahead of their rivals.

Burns kicked his first penalty of the night but it was followed by a yellow card for team mate James Hudson.

The Gloucester lock was deemed to have tackled Falcons Mike Blair late and his sending off coincided with another successful penalty for Clegg and the visitors were now 10 points shy of the home side with just over 10 minutes to go.

Gloucester launched a ferocious final attack in the dying seconds on the Falcons line but it was in vain and they left Kingston Park empty handed, the final score finished 20-10.

Final Score Newcastle Falcons 20 (9) Gloucester 10 (7)


Newcastle Falcons
Tries – Sinoti
Pen – Clegg (5)
Con –
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – Afoa
Pen – Burns
Con – Burns
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
: Tim Wigglesworth (89th Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Ashley Rowden and Andy Watson.
TMO: Trevor Fisher.


Newcastle Falcons

15 Alex Tait 14 Sinoti Sinoti 13 Gonzalo Tiesi 12 Juan Pablo Socino 11 Alesana Tuilagi 10 Rory Clegg 9 Mike Blair 1 Rob Vickers 2 Scott Lawson 3 Oliver Tomaszczyk 4 Green 5 Barrow 6 Wilson 7 Saull 8 Hogg (c)

Replacements : 16 George McGuigan, 17 Alex Rogers 18 Scott Wilson 19 Sean Robinson 20 Chris York 21 Warren Fury 22 Adam Powell 23 Simon Hammersley


Steve McColl; Charlie Sharples, Billy Meakes, Mark Atkinson, Henry Purdy; Billy Burns, Dan Robson; Yann Thomas, Darren Dawidiuk, John Afoa; Tom Palmer, James Hudson; Tom Savage, Matt Kvesic (capt), Ross Moriarty

Replacements:Luke Cole, James Gibbons, Shaun Knight, Elliott Stooke, Gareth Evans, Callum Braley, Aled Thomas, Tom Isaacs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.