Exeter Chiefs beat Saints to win LV Cup

Exeter Chiefs won their first major trophy in their 143 year histrory when they beat Northampton Saints 15-8 in the Anglo Welsh LV= Cup at Sandy Park on Sunday.

The result will be a major concern for Northampton Saints who lost in another final.
In the last three years Saints have lost in the 2011 Heineken Cup, the 2012/3
Premiership and now this tournament.

Tries from Chris Whitehead and Dean Mumm handed the Chiefs victory on their
home ground against a talented Northampton outfit that lost yet another major

A booming sellout crowd of 10,000 roared the home side to victory and the scenes
at the final whistle spoke volumes over how much this success means to the Chiefs,
who only entered the Aviva Premiership in 2010.

Northampton were dealt a late blow before kickoff as both starting fly-half
Stephen Myler and substitute Will Hooley pulled out through injury, meaning
New Zealander Glenn Dickson stepped in.

He added a penalty after Exeter had raced into an 8-0 lead thanks to Whitehead’s
try in the fourth minute from a catch and drive and Henry Slade had added a
penalty of his own.

The wind played a pivotal role for both sides in either half and hampered Slade’s
best efforts, the former England U20 fly-half missing a penalty before the break.

Exeter therefore held a five-point advantage at half-time, but opened up that
gap thanks to a try from the skipper Dean Mumm.

The former Wallaby lock has found the try line on several occasions this season,
but this was his most important score – following up a fine break from Tongan
winger Fetu’u Vainikolo to score the second try for the Chiefs.

Full-back Luke Arscott then missed a golden chance to put Exeter out of sight
when he broke through, only for George Pisi to knock the ball from his hands
as he went for the line and keep Saints in the hunt.

The visitors then hit back in the dying stages thanks to a try from Samu Manoa,
but the wind lead to a tricky kick for fly-half Dickson who couldn’t land the

Slade had another penalty to secure the game but the wind carried it onto the
upright to result in a scrambled finish, one that Exeter emerged from on top
thanks to a choke tackle and leading to rapturous scenes around Sandy Park at
a first major trophy in the club’s 143-year history.

Final Score Exeter Chiefs 15 (8) Northampton Saints 8 (3)


Exeter Chiefs
Tries – White, Mumm
Pen -Slade
Con – Slade
Drop –

Northampton Saints
Tries – Manoa
Pen – Dickson
Con –
Drop –

Match Officials
Andrew Small
Assistant referees: Peter Huckle, Paul Dix
Television match official: Geoff Warren
Timekeeper: Matthew Peters
Assessor: Chris White


Exeter Chiefs

15 Luke Arscott, 14 Fetu’u Vainikolo, 13 Phil Dollman, 12 Jason Shoemark, 11 Matt Jess, 10 Henry Slade, 9 Dave Lewis, 1 Ben Moon, 2 Chris Whitehead, 3 Hoani Tui, 4 Dean Mumm (capt), 5 Damian Welch, 6 Dave Ewers, 7 Ben White, 8 Kai Horstmann

Replacements : 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Carl Rimmer, 18 Alex Brown, 19 Romana Graham, 20 Don Armand, 21 Haydn Thomas, 22 Gareth Steenson, 23 Sireli Naqelevuki

Northampton Saints

15 Ben Foden, 14 Ken Pisi, 13 George Pisi, 12 James Wilson, 11 Jamie Elliott, 10 Ste

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.