Bath clip Newcastle Falcons’ wings at The Rec

Bath got their Aviva Premiership campaign back on track when they beat Newcastle Falcons 30-24 at The Rec on Saturday.

Bath had been stuck in a rut in the Premiership as their only win in their last six matches of Premiership Rugby was a 30-3 home victory to London Irish on New Year’s Day.

Newcastle have enjoyed some success in the Anglo Welsh LV Cup recently under
new Director of Rugby Gary Gold but in the Premiership they have won just one
of their last eight encounters – 26-25 at home to Gloucester in round ten.

The Falcons only victory on the road in the Premiership since April 2010 was
at Leeds on 27 February 2011.

Three tries in the second half saw the home side secure a come-from-behind
bonus point victory in icy conditions.

The match went ahead despite the recent sub-zero temperatures but there was
little in the opening fifteen minutes to warm the spirits of those braving the

The first points came in the second minute when Ollie Barkley struck a penalty
and the hosts added to their lead 15 minutes later when Tom Heathcote’s evasive
running carved open an opportunity for Ollie Woodburn to score.

But the Falcons struck back almost immediately, with Mark Wilson’s try and Jimmy
Gopperth’s conversion taking the visitors to within a point.

Then, just after the half-hour, Newcastle gained the advantage. A period of
intense pressure resulted in a try for Rob Vickers and Gopperth’s conversion
made it 8-14.

The Falcons held on to their lead until half-time but Bath made a stunning start
to the second period, crossing for three tries in the first 25 minutes to turn
the game on it’s head.

First, Anthony Perenise’s grubber was snapped up by Woodburn, who crashed over
the line, and five minutes later Bath were awarded a penalty try after the referee
adjudged that Tom Biggs had been impeded while chasing a kick.

The points were secured were Perenise crashed over out wide, with two Heathcote
conversions helping to establish a 13-point cushion.

The two sides then exchanged penalties before the Falcons crossed for a consolation
try with the last play of the game, which Gopperth converted.

Final Score Bath 30 (8) Newcastle 24 (14)


Tries: Woodburn 2, Perenise
Penalties: Barkley, Heathcote
Conversions: Heathcote 2

Newcastle Falcons
Tries: Wilson, Vickers, Chudley
Penalties: Gopperth

Referee: Dean Richards (53rd Premiership game)


Bath Rugby :15. Sam Vesty , 14. Olly Woodburn , 13. Matt Banahan , 12. Olly Barkley , 11. Tom Biggs , 10. Tom Heathcote , 9. Michael Claassens , 8. Simon Taylor, 7. Francois Louw (c), 6. Ben Skirving , 5. Ryan Caldwell , 4. Dave Attwood , 3. Anthony Perenise , 2. Lee Mears, 1. David Flatman

Replacements :16. Pieter Dixon , 17. Nathan Catt , 18. Kane Palma-Newport , 19. Guy Mercer , 20. Josh Ovens , 21. Chris Cook , 22. Matt Carraro , 23. Nick Scott

Newcastle: 15 Greg Goosen, 14 Ryan Shortland, 13 Jamie Helleur, 12 James Fitzpatrick, 11 Suka Hufanga, 10 Jimmy Gopperth (c), 9 Chris Pilgrim, 1 Grant Shiells, 2 Rob Vickers, 3 Euan Murray, 4 Adriaan Fondse, 5 Tim Swinson, 6 Will Welch, 7 Ally Hogg, 8 Mark Wilson

Replacements: 16 Matt Thompson, 17 Jonny Golding, 18 James Hall, 19 Andrew van der Heijden, 20 Taiasina Tu’ifua, 21 Will Chudley, 22 Joel Hodgson, 23 Tom Bedford

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.