Newcastle put the boot into Jonny’s Toulon

Newcastle Falcons extended their Challenge Cup record to three wins from three matches when they beat Toulon 6-3 in Pool two at Kingston Park.

Swirling winds in the North East of England meant that both teams had to play to the conditions and neither team could score a try.

The Falcons kept up their unbeaten run in the tournament thanks to two second-half Jimmy Gopperth penalties.

Gopperth was off target with his first shot at goal in the first period, but he had no such problems with his second effort, slotting a 25-metre penalty early in the second half to give his side the lead.

The Falcons fly-half then doubled his tally with another penalty to put the hosts in the driving seat.

Julien Dumora grabbed a penalty for the visitors to narrow the scores but it was the Falcons’ night.

Final Score Newcastle (0) 6 Toulon (0) 3


Pens: Gopperth 2

Pens: Dumora

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)


Newcastle Falcons: G Goosen; L Eves, J Helleur, J Fitzpatrick, R Shortland; J Gopperth, J Pasqualin; G Shiells, J Graham, E Murray, J Hudson [capt], A Van der Heijden, M Wilson, W Welch, R Mayhew

Replacements: A Wells, D Fearn, D Frazier, T Tuifua, A Hogg, W Chudley, C Pilgrim, T Catterick

Toulon: L Rooney; J Sinzelle, M Bastareaud, G Messina, B Lapeyre; J Dumora, L Magnaval; E Lewis-Roberts, J Orioli, C Hayman, K Mikautadze, D Schofield, P Gunther, J El Abd [capt], S Rokobaro

Replacements: M Ivaldi, X Chiocci, L Chilachava, A Faosiliva, B Bonnet, J Wilkinson, A Palisson, C Samson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.