Wasps sting Bath and take Guinness Premiership final spot

London Wasps beat Bath 21-10 at Adams Park on Sunday to reach the final of the Guinness Premiership, to be played on 31 May at Twickenham.

Wasps went into the break at 14-7 and only added a single try in a tight second half, while Olly Barkley missed two early penalties for Bath that could have made a big difference.

Bath flyhalf Barkley had a chance to get the early advantage, but he missed a penalty attempt in the fourth minute and the scorers remained unbothered. Bizarrely, he missed another attempt two minutes later and in a game of such importance it proved vital.

The battle for most of the first half was done by the forwards in the middle of the pitch. Butch James tried his best to get the play flowing for Bath and it paid off when an excellent touch-finder was converted into a try by Alex Crockett in the 27th minute.

The Wasps throw-in was five metres form the try line, and some bumbling in the zone by the Wasps backline saw Crockett fall on the spilled ball under the posts. Barkley had no trouble with the conversion.

Wasps responded with venom and equalised three minutes later. Centre Fraser Waters scored the try and England flyhalf Danny Cipriani bagged the conversion to make it 7-7.

Minutes later, Wasps bagged another try as Riki Flutey went over in the corner after some excellent backline work. He went in low and hard after Paul Sackey did the hard work in driving the ball towards the line. Cipriani added the bonus points to double their score.

After the break, Wasps were struck a great blow when Cipriani had to be taken off the field on a stretcher. He was replaced by Mark van Gisbergen.

Bath reduced the gap in the 56th minute when Barkley scored a massive penalty. He hoofed the ball over the middle of the crossbar from the halfway line to take the score to 14-10.

The score did not stay that way for long though, as lock Tom Palmer scored the third of Wasps tries in the 59th minute. After some excellent work down the wing by Tom Voyce, the ball was passed back inside for Palmer to power over the line. Voyce was taken off with an injury at this point, but Van Gisbergen had no trouble with the conversion.

 James Haskell (pictured) won man of the match.

Final Score Wasps 21 Bath 10


Try: Fraser Waters, Riki Flutey, Tom Palmer
Conv: Danny Cipriani (2), Mark van Gisbergen

Try: Alex Crockett
Conv: Olly Barkley
Pen: Olly Barkley


Wasps: Lewsey Sackey Waters Flutey Voyce Cipriani Reddan Payne Ibanez Barnard Shaw Palmer Haskell Rees Dallaglio

Replacements: Birkett French Hart Ward Worsley

Bath: Maddock Higgins Crockett Barkley Banahan James Claassens Barnes Mears Stevens Borthwick Grewcock Faamatuainu Lipman Browne

Replacements: Dixon Bell Short Goodman Baxter Berne Abendanon



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.