Waratahs hold off Brumbies in the wet

This was a live match report –





In the first round the Waratahs looked good and the Brumbies looked poor. Then last week the Waratahs looked alright and the Brumbies looked very good.

Friday March 7
Venue :
Aussie Stadium, Sydney
Referee: James Leckie (Australia)
Referee’s Asst. : Ian Smith (Australia), Daniel Cheever (Australia)
TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)
Assessor: Andrew Cole (Australia) Head-to-Head: Played 13, Waratahs 7, Brumbies 6
In Sydney: Played 7, Waratahs 5, Brumbies 2
Last season: Round 10, April 8 2007: Brumbies 36-10 Waratahs at Canberra Stadium, Canberra


Match detail



0.00 – We are waiting for the kick off.


5.00: The Waratahs were awarded a penalty in the 5th minute and Kurtley Beale took a shot at goal but missed.


9.00: The weather turns a bit for the worse as rain starts to fall.  


15.00: The rain continues to pour down as both team’s scrums are trying to get the ascendency.


16.00: The Brumbies suffer a bit of a blow as they lose Saia Faingaa – could be blood.


19.00: The Waratahs swing it wide and run it up the line. They are stopped just at the line by a Brumbies defender.


20.00 : Kurtley Beale dummies a drop goal and makes a break through – he passes to Tom Carter who scores the first try.


21.00: Kurtley Beale converts the try and the Tahs are 7 in front as the rain looks to be stopping.


26.00: The Waratahs though they had scored another try through Ben Jacobs but they were called back for a scrum. There was a chargedown from the scrum and Tyrone Smith picks up a yellow card for tackling Kurtley Beale without arms.


28.00: Kurtley Beale takes the penalty and its good.


32.00 : The Brumbies had a scrum 15 metres out and Julian Salvi broke from the back of the scrum and powered over to score the Brumbies first try.


33.00: Mark Gerrard added the points crucially while Smith is still in the bin.


35.00: Phil Waugh gives a penalty away for coming in at the side. Mark Gerrard slots the penalty to level the scores as Smith comes back on.


40.00: The Siren goes.


40.05: The Brumbies keep the ball alive and run it towards the line and Peter Playford looks to have scored in the corner. The TMO says the try has been scored.


42.00: Mark Gerrard kicks the conversion perfectly.


Half time.


The half time score is Waratahs 10 Brumbies 17


40.01 : The Second half starts.


46.00: Lote Tuqiri breaks free and runs half the field to score the first points of the second half with atry.


47.00 : Kurtley Beale converts the try to level the scores.


50.00: Yet another chargedown almost comes off – this time its the Brumbies who nearly score but don’t.


58.00: The weather is still not very good for running rugby – still no change in the score.


62.00: Yet another charge-down happens and this time the Waratahs Dean Mumm bolts for the line and scores the try.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.