Quick links: Rugby Video | Six Nations Rugby | Premiership Rugby | LV= Cup | Rugby Championship | Heineken Cup Rugby | Pro 12 Rugby | Super Rugby | Currie Cup Rugby | Rugby World Cup
 
 
 

Quade Cooper seals new deal with ARU


Quade Cooper will play for the Reds for another two years at least

Email Article | | Print Article | Click here for a free $150 Bet

Article Published: Friday 7 December 2012


Controversial Wallaby and Reds playmaker has settled his differences with the Australian Rugby Union and agreed a new two year deal that will keep him with the Reds.

Cooper had earlier rejected an incentive-based contract, which was offered after a turbulent few months during which he criticised the "toxic" environment within the Wallabies and said his rugby career was "on hold".

But the ARU said the fly-half, capped 38 times for the Wallabies and based with the Queensland Reds Super Rugby team, had re-signed through to the end of 2014.

"It's a very happy moment, to be able to continue my career with the Reds and hopefully the Wallabies is pretty exciting," Cooper said.

"Now I can concentrate on my footy career and my upcoming boxing fight."

The deal ends uncertainty over Cooper's future, with his manager saying last month that negotiations with the ARU had ground to a halt and the player would make his boxing debut in the new year.

The 24-year-old had signed a three-year contract with the Reds earlier in the year, but this was contingent on him holding an ARU contract which was due to expire this month.

As negotiations stalled and speculation mounted that he would join a French side, Cooper announced he was preparing for a fight on February 8 on the undercard of a Sonny Bill Williams contest.

Asked how seriously he had considered leaving rugby, Cooper said: "It wasn't a matter of walking away.

"I expressed my desire to continue to play rugby, but there was no contract at that stage so I had to continue on and deal with what I had."

Reports said the new ARU contract, while worth around Aus$800,000 (US$840,000) per year, was close to the incentive-based one he initially rejected.

That offer came after Cooper hit out on social media in September about the "toxic" environment at the Wallabies and the defensive style of coach Robbie Deans.

Cooper said he would "of course" be happy to play under Deans again.

Queensland Rugby president Jim Carmichael said the new deal was not as much a financial decision as about "getting the emotional piece right".

"The ARU has shown great support to bring this to a point where we have the right decision for the game, one of rugby's real talents and Quade's future," Carmichael told Brisbane's Courier Mail.

"Where there might not have been trust and understanding a few months ago, there has been positive dialogue and everyone working towards the same thing."

Cooper, who has also been injury plagued for much of this year, said he was confident he would be in peak physical condition and "primed to play the best rugby in my career" by the start of the 2013 season.

bet365
 
 
Heineken Cup Rugby News
European Champions Cup to kick off in November
Europe's Rugby Champions Cup and the Challenge Cup will kick off in the middle of November later this year due to the Rugby World Cup which finishes in October.
Read more on this Rugby news article

Other recent news
European Champions Cup quarter finalists confirmed
Munster end on a high by smashing Sale Sharks
Bath survive Glasgow charge and qualify for last 8

More Heineken Cup Rugby News

Aviva Premiership
Cockerill : Tuilagi may not play again this season
Leicester Tigers Director of Rugby Richard Cockerill has revealed that their star England centre Manu Tuilagi could spend the rest of the season on the sidelines due to injury
Read more on this Rugby news article

Other recent news
Harlequins sign Scotland winger Tim Visser
Bath victory means London Welsh are relegated
Cipriani helps Sale Sharks beat Gloucester

More Aviva Premiership News

Anglo Welsh Cup News
Six Nations Rugby
Ritchie: England finishing second is 'not acceptable'
Rugby Football Union (RFU) chief executive Ian Ritchie has said that England's fourth consecutive runners-up finish in the Six Nations is "not acceptable".
Read more on this Rugby news article

Other recent news
Frenzied 6N finale sends World Cup warning
Mike Brown slams lacklustre Italy and Scotland
Ireland end 60 year wait for back to back titles

More Six Nations Rugby News

 
Rugby Week Sponsor
 
 
Latest Rugby video