Wasps end Adams Park with London Welsh blowout

Wasps ended their time at Adams Park with a 71-7 blowout against London Welsh in the Aviva Premiership on Sunday afternoon.

Wasps will play their future games in Coventry after they dropped the London from their name earlier in the Summer.

Nathan Hughes’ two tries, as well as efforts from Johnson and Sailosi Tagicakibau,
gave the hosts a comfortable 26-0 lead at the break.

Further scores via Wade (three), Johnson (three), Joe Simpson and Tom Varndell
extended their advantage beyond the 70-point mark, although Ben Pienaar did
give Welsh some reason to cheer, however faint.

The Exiles have endured a torrid season back in the Premiership having failed
to win a game in all competitions.

Their last encounter, an 18-9 defeat to Gloucester in the LV=Cup showed a slight
improvement, but they were no match for a side who were looking to get back
into play-off contention.

Just one minute had elapsed before Dai Young’s men were on the score-board
when weak defence saw Hughes charge over. Andy Goode was on target with the
conversion and was soon adding the extras to a second try when Johnson crossed
the whitewash.

Wasps then moved 21 points clear just before the end of the first quarter as
Tagicakibau touched down unopposed following a fine passage of play by the home

Although Welsh showed some spirit for the next quarter-of-an-hour, a mistake
by visiting full-back Seb Jewell gave Hughes an easy run-in. That confirmed
the bonus-point as Young’s team went into the interval 26-0 in front.

Exiles’ head coach Justin Burnell needed a response, but unsurprisingly it
was the High Wycombe-based outfit who continued to dominate.

Elliot Daly’s searing break resulted in Wade going over before Simpson and
Hughes combined to send Johnson across the line. Welsh’s defence had been absent
for most of the match, but it particularly started to show after half-time.

It was therefore no surprise to see Wasps go over for the third time since
the interval when Kearnan Myall’s run and pass allowed Simpson to score.

The visitors displayed some spirit when an excellent attack was finished by
Pienaar, but Johnson’s hat-trick try restored order.

Wade crossed the whitewash twice and Varndell also went over late on to add
gloss to the scoreline and complete the Exiles’ most miserable day yet.

Final Score Wasps 71 (26) London Welsh 7 (0)


Tries – Hughes (2), Johnson (3), Tagicakibau, Wade (3), Simpson, Varndell
Pen –
Con – Goode (6), Lozowski (2)
Drop –
Cards –

London Welsh
Tries – Pienaar
Pen –
Con – Robinson
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
: Thomas Foley (1st Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Roy Maybank and Paul Dix.
TMO: David Sainsbury



15. Rob Miller , 14. Christian Wade , 13. Elliot Daly , 12. Chris Bell , 11. Sailosi Tagicakibau , 10. Andy Goode , 9. Joe Simpson, 8. Nathan Hughes , 7. James Haskell (C) , 6. Ashley Johnson , 5. James Gaskell , 4. James Cannon, 3. Jake Cooper Woolley, 2. Edd Shervington ,1. Simon McIntyre

Replacements :16. Tom Lindsay , 17. John Yapp , 18. Lorenzo Cittadini , 19. Kearnan Myall , 20. Sam Jones , 21. Tom Bliss , 22. Alex Lozowski , 23. Tom Varndell

London Welsh

15. Seb Jewell, 14. Seb Stegmann, 13. Nic Reynolds, 12. Tom May* (C), 11. N

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.