Gloucester thump Leicester Tigers

Gloucester added more pain for Leicester in the Aviva Premiership when they beat the Tigers 33-16 at Kingsholm.

The loss for Leicester is their third this season from five matches and the Cherry and Whites third in five starts.

Gloucester set up the victory with a strong performance in the first half which
put them into a 30-9 half time lead.

The Cherry and Whites dominated the opening period and deservedly went into
the interval 30-9 ahead through Nick Wood, Charlie Sharples and Jonny May tries.

Owen Williams kicked three penalties for the Tigers in the opening period and
they searched for a response in the second half, but Greig Laidlaw’s penalty
increased the hosts’ advantage.

However, Gloucester found the bonus-point score elusive and in the end the
visitors had the final word when David Mele crossed the whitewash.

Leicester have endured a difficult start to the season with a spate of injuries
leaving their squad decimated.

Successive defeats to Bath – a 45-0 thumping – and at home to London Irish
has put further pressure on director of rugby Richard Cockerill.

They were therefore in need of a positive start at Kingsholm and Williams kicked
a penalty to take them 3-0 ahead after three minutes.

However, Laidlaw almost immediately cancelled that score out and added successive
three-pointers to give the hosts a 9-3 advantage.

Although the Tigers’ centre reduced the deficit, the visitors were finding
themselves under pressure and Freddie Burns, who was suffering a torrid time
against his former club, was charged down and Wood was on hand to cross the

A second try soon followed from Sharples before Williams’ third penalty gave
the visitors hope but, against a rampant Gloucester, Leicester couldn’t cope.

Instead, May went over after good hands from backs and forwards alike as the
Cherry and Whites went into interval with a comfortable buffer.

David Humphreys’ men struggled to break down the Tigers’ rearguard in the second
period and Laidlaw’s penalty was their only score of the half.

They had a chance near the end to claim their fourth try but James Hook’s pass
failed to go to hand, and the visitors regained some pride when Mele touched
down in the final minute.

Final Score Gloucester 33 (30) Leicester Tigers 16 (9)


Tries – Wood, Sharples, May
Pen – Laidlaw (4)
Con – Laidlaw (3)
Drop –
Cards –

Leicester Tigers
Tries – Mele
Pen – Tait, Williams (2)
Con – Williams
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
Andrew Small (109th Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Ashley Rowden and Roger Baileff.
TMO: Sean Davey.



Rob Cook; Charlie Sharples, Henry Purdy, Billy Twelvetrees (capt), Jonny May; James Hook, Greig Laidlaw; Nick Wood, Richard Hibbard, John Afoa; Tom Savage, Tom Palmer; Sione Kalamafoni, Matt Kvesic, Ben Morgan

Replacements:Aleki Lutui, Yann Thomas, Sila Puafisi, Elliott Stooke, Ross Moriarty, Dan Robson, Mark Atkinson, Tom Isaacs

Leicester Tigers

15 Mathew Tait, 14 Blaine Scully, 13 Vereniki Goneva , 12 Freddie Burns , 11 Miles Benjamin, 10 Owen Williams, 9 Ben Youngs (c), 1 Michele Rizzo, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 3 Fraser Balmain, 4 Brad Thorn, 5 Graham Kitchener, 6 Jamie Gibson, 7 Julian Salvi, 8 Robert Barbieri


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.