Gloucester beat London Irish in 10 try thriller

Gloucester beat London Irish 35-30 in their Aviva Premiership clash at Kingholm in a match that saw ten tries being scored including two hat-tricks.

Despite London Irish having the better of the first half it was Gloucester who
went in 17-12 ahead at the break, with Sione Kalamafoni, Charlie Sharples and
Shane Monahan, who scored a hat-trick, going over. Two tries from fellow hat-trick
scorer Marland Yarde did give the visitors some reward for their first half
effort and meant they were well in the game.

An entertaining second period saw Yarde and Monahan complete hat-tricks, and
Irish lead for the first time in the game with just over ten minutes to play.
Freddie Burns also scored heavily with his boot to clinch Gloucester’s win.

Gloucester wasted no time in opening the scoring and went ahead in the opening
minute when Kalamafoni went over in the corner, with Billy Twelvetrees converting
to give the hosts an early 7-0 advantage.

After eight minutes, the home side extended their lead further. A clever kick
from Freddie Burns was seized upon by Sharples who dived on to the bouncing
ball in the corner. Shortly after, Gloucester centre, Twelvetrees was replaced
with what seemed to be an ankle injury. This lifted London Irish, and Yarde
scored the Exiles first points of the afternoon with a magnificent solo effort.

Twelvetrees’ replacement, Monahan restored Gloucester’s 12-point advantage
midway through the first-half with a well worked try.

The score was against the run of play as the visitors were having a lot of
the ball. Irish’s pressure then told just before the break. Gloucester’s Jimmy
Cowan was shown a yellow card for killing the ball, and after an attacking penalty,
Yarde squeezed through – ignoring options on the outside – to reduce the visitors’

Ian Humphreys slotted the conversion to leave the scores at 17-12. Gloucester
started the second half in the same fashion as the first, scoring almost straight
from kick-off. Some poor Irish defending allowed Mike Tindall to make a burst
down the left before releasing Monahan for his second try of the afternoon.

The Exiles’ response was positive yet again. Replacement, Gerard Ellis went
over following an excellent break through the middle by scrum-half, Tomas O’Leary.

Burns kicked a penalty to leave the score at 25-17, only for the visitors to
turn the game on its head just after the hour mark.

Firstly Yarde went over to claim his third try of the afternoon, before Humphreys
kicked the conversion and a penalty shortly after to put Irish ahead for the
first time in the game at 27-25.

The last ten minutes produced even further drama, and after Burns put Gloucester
back ahead with a penalty, Monahan went over for his third score of the afternoon.
Burns converted to leave the hosts 35-27 ahead.

A penalty for either side through Myles Dorrian and Burns respectively, left
the final score at 38-30 in a whirlwind game. The win lifts Gloucester above
Exeter in to eighth place, leaving Irish in tenth position.

Final Score Gloucester 35 (17) London Irish 30 (12)


Tries – Kalamafoni, Sharples, Monahan (3)
Pen -Burns (2)
Con – Twelvetrees, Burns
Drop –

London Irish
Tries – Yarde (3), Ellis, Dorrian
Pen – Humphreys
Con – Humphreys (2)
Drop –

Match Officials
Steve Lee (1st Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Ashley Rowden and Robin Goodliffe.
TMO: Rowan K

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.