Waratahs stretch Stormers winless streak

The Waratahs got back to winning ways when they beat the Stormers 11-22 at Newlands in Cape Town on Saturday extending the Cape side’s losing streak to five matches.

Earlier in the day the New Zealand’s Crusaders became the first team to cross the Indian Ocean and win in South Africa so the Waratahs are the first Australian team to win in South Africa.

The result also means that the South African teams were kept winless for the weekend despite three teams having home advantage.

The Australian tourists last won in the Mother City in February 2006 and Saturday’s
victory consigned the Stormers to their sixth defeat in seven outings this season.

Early defensive lapses by the Stormers allowed the Waratahs to take play within
five metres of the tryline but their efforts came to nought as they conceded
a turn-over just a metre away from the target.

Centre Juan de Jongh initiated the Stormers response with a line-break on his
own 10 metre line but again a turn-over allowed the Waratahs to stave off a
threatening raid on their tryline.

Flyhalf Peter Grant put the Stormers into a 3-0 lead with an 11th minute penalty.

However, the lead was short-lived as three minutes later Waratahs scrumhalf
Nick Phipps latched on to stray ball at the back of the Stormers scrum, and
darted in unchallenged. Flyhalf Bernard Foley converted to give the Waratahs
a 7-3 lead.

De Jongh again made his midfield presence felt in the 22nd minute but this
time his break left the opposition defence in tatters and he was able to send
winger Kobus van Wyk away for an unconverted try in the corner (8-7).

The lead changed hands five minutes ahead of the break when Foley converted
a penalty after the Stormers infringed at breakdown play under their posts.

The Waratahs returned for second-half play with a greater sense of urgency
and in the opening four minutes they came within a whisker of crossing the whitewash
but again a turn-over allowed the Stormers to relieve the pressure.

Fullback Kurtley Beale and Foley did, however, make the effort count when they
goaled penalties in quick succession to stretch the lead by eight points.

A massive scrum effort by the Stormers in the 55th minute saw play transfer
into the Waratahs 22-metre area and after several attempts to bash their way
over De Jongh made a valiant bid which needed TMO Shaun Veldsman to make a call.

De Jongh was adjudged to be short of the tryline but there was some comfort
for the Stormers when New Zealand referee awarded them a penalty in front of
the Waratahs posts. Grant goaled just on the hour to shrink the lead to five

Any thoughts the Stormers may have had of a fightback were dashed for the as
Beale banged over a 45-metre penalty in the 63rd minute and the Aussie visitors
regained an eight-point lead.

There was more woe for the Stormers in the 68th minute when Foley goaled from
an acute angle from 35 metres out and with only 10 minutes playing time remaining.

Final Score Stormers 11 (8) Waratahs 22 (10)


Tries – K.van Wyk
Pen – P.Grant 2
Con –
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – N.Phipps.
Pen – B.Foley 3, K.Beale 2
Con – B.Foley
Drop –
Cards – N.Phipps (81st min yellow)

Match Officials
Glen Jackson
Assistant Ref 1: Mike Fraser
Assistant Ref 2: Quinton Immelman
TMO: Shaun Veldsman


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.