Worcester beat Newcastle for first Premiership win

Worcester Warriors won their first Aviva Premiership match of the season when they beat Newcastle Falcons 12-17 at Kingston Park on Sunday.

The Premiership victory in front of 4441 spectators keeps Worcester’s hopes of staying in the Premiership alive for another week.

The result in which Worcester scored the only try of the match takes their Premiership record to played 18 won 1 while Newcastle’s record is played 18 won 3.

Dean Richards’ Newcastle have now lost their last 12 Premiership matches in a row.

Worcester’s only previous victory at Kingston Park came on their first ever visit in April 2005, although they have drawn two of their last three fixtures at the venue, both with a 16-all scoreline.

The Warriors are now nine points adrift at the bottom of the league with four
matches remaining, after winning away in the Premiership for the first time
since New Year’s Day 2012.

In an unsurprisingly tense opening period, given the importance of the encounter,
three Phil Godman penalties to Chris Pennell’s two gave Newcastle a 9-6 lead
at the break.

Godman and Ryan Lamb then traded three-pointers before the Warriors’ stand-off
levelled the scores midway through the second half.

The game needed a spark and it came with 10 minutes remaining when Josh Drauniniu
crossed the whitewash to give Worcester the win.

Despite failing to win a league game going into this encounter, the Warriors
have shown an improvement in their performances over the previous two months.

A match against their closest challengers therefore provided the perfect opportunity
for Dean Ryan’s men to get that elusive win, but it was Newcastle that opened
the scoring through Godman.

Worcester soon found an element of territory and, following a Falcons’ infringement
at the breakdown, Pennell levelled matters from the tee.

The full-back then kicked his second long-range penalty to give the visitors
a 6-3 lead after 13 minutes.

However, the hosts’ equalised through the boot of their stand-off before the
Midlands’ outfit were penalised for taking down a maul and Godman took Dean
Richards’ side 9-6 ahead at the interval.

Lamb, taking over kicking duties from Pennell, and Godman traded three-pointers
in the second half before the Warriors’ fly-half made the score 12-12 with 25
minutes remaining.

The game continued to be tight with very little separating the teams, until
Andy Symons broke through and off-loaded to Drauniniu to touch down.

Although Newcastle pressed, Worcester held on to take a memorable win.

Final Score Newcastle 12 (9) Worcester 17 (6)


Tries –
Pen -Godman (4)
Con –
Drop –

Tries – Drauniniu
Pen – Pennell (2), Lamb (2)
Con –
Drop –

Match Officials
Tim Wigglesworth (81st Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Peter Huckle and Andrew Pearce.
TMO: Rowan Kitt.


Newcastle Falcons

15 Alex Tait, 14 Noah Cato, 13 Gonzalo Tiesi (c), 12 Danny Barnes, 11 Sinoti Sinoti, 10 Phil Godman, 9 Warren Fury, 1 Rob Vickers, 2 Scott Lawson, 3 Oliver Tomaszczyk, 4 Scott MacLeod, 5 Fraser McKenzie, 6 Mark Wilson, 7 Andy Saull, 8 Chris York

Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Gary Strain, 18 Scott Wilson, 19 Sean Tomes, 20 Richard Mayhew, 21 Mike Blair, 22 Joel Hodgson, 23 James Fitzpatrick

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.