Gloucester hold on for victory against Exeter Chiefs

Exeter Chiefs missed a last gasp conversion and allowed Gloucester to hold on for a 13-14 victory in the Aviva Premiership at Sandy Park

There was little to separate the two sides in the first half as the only try
was scored by Matt Jess to give Exeter an 8-6 lead at the break. A Charlie Sharples
try had given the visitors a fairly comfortable lead until late on when the
home side nearly snatched victory.

Two minutes in Gloucester thought they had scored after an Exeter move broke
down and the visitors capitalised, with full-back Rob Cook diving over the line,
only for the try to be ruled out by the TMO for a forward pass earlier in the

Exeter responded well to Gloucester’s near miss as they went up the other end
and opened the scoring with a Henry Slade penalty to make it 3-0.

The game was very much stop-start as the half wore on with both teams struggling
to take the initiative, though two penalties from Rob Cook had swung the score
line back in Gloucester’s favour.

Just after the half hour mark, Luke Arscott lofted a pass out to winger Jess
who had ample space to cross the line out wide. Slade missed the resulting conversion
as the hosts went in 8-6 ahead.

Gloucester started the second half the brighter of the two sides, and another
Rob Cook penalty put the visitors back in front.

The Cherry and Whites then capitalised further on their dominance to go over
for their first score of the afternoon. Rob Cook released Sharples who had a
clear run over the line to put Gloucester 14-8 in front.

Little happened for the remainder of the half, until the game sparked in to
life in the closing stages.

With two minutes left on the clock Sila Puafisi saw yellow, paying the price
for a number of Cherry and Whites infringements, with Exeter well on top.

Gloucester were then reduced to 13 men when Sione Kalamofoni was penalised
for illegally holding Exeter up on the try line.

Then, with the final play of the match South African flanker, Don Armand, went
over to give the home fans hope of a win. Only for Gareth Steenson to fluff
his lines and miss the conversion, leaving the visitors with a narrow 14-13

Final Score Exeter Chiefs 13 (8) Gloucester 14 (6)


Exeter Chiefs
Tries – Jess, Armand
Pen -Slade
Con –
Drop –

Tries – Sharples
Pen – Cook (3)
Con –
Drop –

Match Officials
Matthew Carly (11th Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Ross Campbell and Paul Dix.
TMO: Geoff Warren.


Exeter Chiefs

15 Luke Arscott , 14 Fetu’u Vainikolo , 13 Ian Whitten , 12 Phil Dollman , 11 Matt Jess , 10 Henry Slade , 9 Dave Lewis , 1 Ben Moon , 2 Jack Yeandle , 3 Hoani Tui , 4 Dean Mumm (capt) , 5 Damian Welch , 6 Dave Ewers , 7 Tom Johnson , 8 Kai Horstmann

Replacements : 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie , 17 Carl Rimmer , 18 Alex Brown , 19 Don Armand , 20 James Scaysbrook , 21 Haydn Thomas , 22 Gareth Steenson , 23 Sam Hill


Rob Cook; Charlie Sharples, Mike Tindall, Billy Twelvetrees (capt), Jonny May; Ryan Mills, Jimmy Cowan; Nick Wood, Darren Dawidiuk, Shaun Knight; Elliott Stooke, Will James; Sione Kalamafoni, Matt Kvesic, Ben Morgan

Replacements: Koree Britton, Yann Thomas, Sila Puafisi, Lua Lokotui, Gareth Evans, Tavis Knoyle, Freddie Burns, Henry Trinder

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.