Bonus point Reds too strong for Cheetahs

The Reds recovered from their loss to the Waratahs last week by beating the Cheetahs 43-33 with a bonus point in Brisbane on Friday.

The Reds outscored the Cheetahs by five tries to three with two tries from Reds centre Chris Feauai-Sautia.

The Cheetahs have now played four matches in Brisbane and have yet to win a match in the city.

Quade Cooper kicked a penalty in extra time which cost what would have been the Cheetahs first bonus point in Brisbane.

The result moves the Reds provisionally up to fifth place in the overall standings but third in the Australian Super Rugby conference.

In a remarkable start, the Reds received a penalty try in the first minute
and Cheetahs winger Rayno Benjamin was sin-binned for kicking the ball out of
Chris Feauai-Sautia’s hands as he attempted to plant the ball on the try-line.

But while they were down to 14 men, the Cheetahs crossed twice, with Cheetahs
winger Willie le Roux charging down a Will Genia box-kick for center Francois
Venter to score, then Reds flyhalf Quade Cooper threw a wayward spiral pass
only for Boom Prinsloo to intercept and canter 50 meters.

Cooper redeemed himself by floating another cut-out pass over two defenders.
But this time it hit center Mike Harris, who passed to winger Rod Davies, who
sped down the sideline for another Queensland try.

The score was 14-14 after 12 minutes, and after a six-try first half the Reds
led 29-20.

Feauai-Sautia’s second try from a Cooper grubber kick appeared to seal the
result for the Reds at 34-23, but Queensland errors led to a third try to the
Cheetahs by Elgar Watts, which he converted for them to trail the home side
by only seven points with seven minutes remaining.

However, the Cheetahs, after dominating the scrum all game, conceded a scrum
penalty in front of their posts in injury time and Cooper kicked the goal after
the siren to give the Reds a 10-point edge and prevent the Cheetahs from claiming
a bonus point for finishing within seven points of the winners.

Cooper finished with an 18-point haul and became Queensland’s highest point-scorer
in Super Rugby with 632, three more than Elton Flatley.

“We knew we had to do the hard work first,” Cooper said.

“Then we got a bit ahead of ourselves.”

Next week the Reds travel to South Africa where they will play the Sharks in Durban while the Cheetahs fly to New Zealand where they will take on the Hurricanes.

Final Score Reds 43 (29) Cheetahs 33 (20)


Tries – Penalty, R.Davies, C.Feauai-Sautia 2, J.Hanson
Pen – Q.Cooper 4
Con – Q.Cooper 3
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – S.Venter, B.Prinsloo, E.Watts
Pen – J.Goosen 3
Con – J.Goosen 2, E. Watts
Drop –
Cards – R.Benjamin (1st min yellow)

Match Officials
Garratt Williamson
Assistant Ref 1: Angus Gardner
Assistant Ref 2: Matt O’Brien
TMO: Steve Leszczynski



1. Ben Daley , 2. James Hanson , 3. Greg Holmes , 4. Rob Simmons , 5. James Horwill (C) , 6. Eddie Quirk , 7. Liam Gill , 8. Jake Schatz , 9. Will Genia (VC) , 10. Quade Cooper , 11. Dom Shipperley , 12. Mike Harris , 13. Chris Feauai-Sautia , 14. Rod Davies , 15. Aidan Toua

Replacements : 16. Saia Fainga’a , 17. James Slipper , 18. Jono Owen , 19. Ed O’Donoghue , 20. Beau Robinson , 21. Nick Frisby , 22. Anthony Fainga’a , 23. Ben

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.