Folau helps Waratahs to bonus point Force victory

A hat-trick of tries from Israel Folau helped the Waratahs to a 43-21 bonus point Super Rugby victory over the Western Force in Sydney on Sunday.

Folau scored his first try in the second minute of the match and his third came in the 66th minute – 10 minutes after Kane Douglas had scored the bonus point try for the home side.

Folau picked up where he left off in last year’s trailblazing debut season with
three tries in the Tahs’ six tries-to-two win over Force in Sydney.

The fullback scored in the opening minute and added a second off a Wycliff
Palu break and completed his hat-trick of tries in the 66th minute.

Folau has now scored 11 career Super Rugby tries after making the switch to
rugby last year where he also scored 10 tries in 15 internationals for the Wallabies.

“Izzy certainly knows his way to the try-line and he’s following on from
last year,” Waratahs captain Dave Dennis said.

“Three tries straight up. He’s a great player for us and the guys worked
hard to give him those opportunities which was more important.

“The set piece is a strength of ours and we have a great back-line so
we have to make sure we are on to the set piece and give them the opportunity
to attack.”

It was a lively opening game for the Waratahs, who led 22-11 at halftime and
clinched their bonus-point fourth try in the 57th minute through forward Kane

It was the first time since round five in 2012 that the Waratahs have picked
up a four-try bonus point in Super Rugby.

Fellow Wallaby Kurtley Beale, back with the Waratahs after a short stint at
the Melbourne Rebels, impressed at inside-centre and featured in several of
the team’s passing rushes.

Beale dashed over for the Waratahs’ sixth try in the final minutes.

Fly-half Bernard Foley finished with 13 points from five conversions and a
penalty goal.

The Waratahs who have been under-achievers in Super Rugby despite their all-star
lineup have now made a strong start to the season under coach Michael Cheika.

However, execution eluded the Waratahs too often, with the new-look playmaking combination
of Foley and Beale lacking cohesion early in a mistake-riddled performance.

But the intention was there for the Waratahs, as they stuck with their attack-at-all-costs
game plan.

Springbok hardman Jacques Potgieter came on in the second half and soon became
involved with Force’s South African contingent in robust exchanges.

The Force battled hard despite being outgunned out wide and finished with tries
to Wallaby winger Nick Cummins and centre Kyle Godwin.

The Perth-based team had a scare when their South African flanker Brynard Stander
was taken from the field on a medi-cab with his neck in a precautionary brace
late in the match.

Final Score Waratahs 43 (22) Force 21 (11)


Tries – I.Folau 3, A.Alofa, K.Douglas, K.Beale
Pen – B.Foley
Con – B.Foley 5
Drop –
Cards – P.Ryan (yellow 43rd min)

Tries – N.Cummins, K.Godwin
Pen – Z. Holmes 3
Con – Z.Holmes
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
Rohan Hoffmann (Australia)
Assistant Ref 1: Matt O’Brien
Assistant Ref 2: Ed Martin
TMO: George Ayoub



1. Benn Robinson , 2. Tatafu Polota Nau , 3. Paddy Ryan , 4. Will Skelton , 5. Kane Douglas ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.