Harlequins snatch it at the death against Wasps

Harlequins need a late try two minutes from time to beat London Wasps 11-13 at the Twickenham Stoop in the Aviva Premiership on Sunday.

With London Wasps leading 6-10 Harlequins managed to spread the ball wide and Sam Smith was tackled in the corner and just managed to get the ball onto the tryline to score.

The wind was swirling at The Stoop, and from the outset it looked like it would
be a tight game between the two teams who were lying sixth and seventh before

That pattern continued throughout as there was little to separate the two sides
in a game where only two tries and two penalties were scored.

Wasps had the wind in their favour first-half and spent much of the half camped
inside the Harlequins 22.

Joe Carlisle, a late replacement for the injured Andy Goode, impressed and
kicked the visitors in to an early 0-3 lead.

Nick Evans almost immediately responded to make it 3-3 in the early exchanges.

Points were at a premium, though, and despite constant waves of Wasps pressure,
the Quins defence were holding out.

As the half wore on, Wasps began to use the driving maul more and more to force
the Harlequins defence closer to their try line.

Ashley Johnson went close to going over, and moments later a storming drive
from a scrum led to a penalty try being awarded to the visitors, to give them
the points their pressure deserved. Carlisle converted to make it 3-10.

James Haskell went close to scoring another try, only for Maurie Fa’asavalu
to tackle the England flanker in to touch.

Ugo Monye then led a rare break for the Quins in to the Wasps half, as they
gained a penalty within kicking distance. Evans opted to kick to the corner
and the half ended without them taking full advantage.

With the wind in now behind them, Harlequins looked to fight back in the second-half.
And the tone was set when Fa’asavalu made a huge hit on Andrea Masi to swing
the momentum in the home sides favour.

Ben Botica, who had replaced Evans, kicked a penalty to reduce Quins’ arrears
to just four points. But despite constant pressure, Harlequins were looking
unable to break down London Wasps mean defence, who were looking impenetrable

That was until the final moments, when the ball broke to Smith, who landed
the ball on the tip of the try-line to give Harlequins a smash and grab victory.

London Wasps could feel hard done by for all the effort they had put in, but
it was Harlequins who were left celebrating at the final whistle.

Maurie Fa’asavalu was named Aviva Premiership man of the match.

Final Score Harlequins 11 (3) London Wasps 10 (10)


Tries – S. Smith
Pen -Evans, Botica
Con –
Drop –

London Wasps
Tries – Penalty
Pen – Carlisle
Con – Carlisle
Drop –

Match Officials
Luke Pearce (21st Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Peter Huckle and Simon McConnell.
TMO: Sean Davey.


Harlequins: 15 Ollie Lindsay-Hague, 14 Sam Smith, 13 Tim Molenaar, 12 Jordan Turner-Hall, 11 Ugo Monye, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Karl Dickson, 8 Nick Easter, 7 Maurie Fa’asavalu, 6 Tom Guest, 5 George Robson, 4 Nick Kennedy, 3 Paul Doran Jones, 2 Dave Ward, 1 Mark Lambert.

Replacements: 16 Joe Gray, 17 Darryl Marfo, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Charlie Matthews, 20 Luke Wallace, 21 Sam Stuart, 22 Ben Botica, 23 Tom Casson.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.