Toulon secure home quarter final with Glasgow win

Heineken Cup champions Toulon secured a home quarter final when they beat Glasgow 8-15 at Scotstoun Stadium on Saturday.

All of Toulon’s points came from Jonny Wilkinson’s boot but Glasgow scored the only try of the match as they surged late in the second half.

The result brings an end to another disappointing Heineken Cup campaign for Glasgow.

Toulon on the other hand topped Pool 4 with 24 points and will definitely be among the top three seeds.

“The aim was for a home quarter-final. We did that so it’s mission accomplished,”
said Toulon centre Mathieu Bastareaud.

Toulon have now qualified for the knock-out stages in each of the three seasons
in which they have taken part in Europe’s premier tournament, this their 17th
win in their 22nd match in the blue riband competition.

The big-spending French giants had triumphed 51-28 at Stade Felix Mayol in
Round 1 but were made to work hard for the double over the battling Scottish
side who scored the only try of a tight contest.

The testing conditions saw Glasgow lose the turnover count 18-9 and although
Toulon captain did Wilkinson miss an opportunity to open the scoring with a
drop goal attempt that failed to find the target – and there was more disappointment
for the usually ace marksman when he failed with a 17th minute penalty goal

It was, however, third time lucky for the World Cup winner when he landed a
27th minute penalty – only for Ruaridh Jackson to level matters three minutes
later as the outside half celebrated his 100th appearances for the club with
their first points to capitalise on some fine enterprising play.

Toulon’s scrum power meant Wilkinson was able to strike again with the boot
shortly before the break to edge the champions in front for the second time
with his second penalty.

And he was right back in the groove just two minutes after the restart with
his third successive success quickly followed by a fourth, Gregor Townsend electing
to make three changes for the Warriors, including new half backs Chris Cusiter
and Duncan Weir.

Toulon lost Sebastien Tillous-Borde for 10 minutes when English referee JP
Doyle sent him off to the sin bin and both sides were a man down when Niko Matawalu
joined the Toulon scrum half for a deliberate knock on.

Wilkinson duly punished the home side on the scoreboard before Stuart Hogg
was off target with a drop goal attempt.

But there was better news for the Warriors with the ball in hand, a charged
down kick producing a try for back rower Chris Fusaro after confirmation from
the TMO.

It was brilliant opportunism by the open-side to dive over the top of a ruck
and get the downward pressure but Weir failed to add the extra points and although
Wilkinson then missed both penalty and drop goal attempts his boot had already
done the damage.

Final Score Glasgow Warriors (3) 8 Toulon (6) 15


Tries – Fusaro
Pen -Jackson
Con –
Drop –

Tries –
Pen – Wilkinson 5
Con –
Drop –

Match Officials
JP Doyle (England),
Assistant ref: Martin Fox (England),
Assistant ref: Paul Dix (England),
TMO: Graham Hughes (England),
Citing Commissioner: John Charles (Wales)

Glasgow Warriors: Stuart Hogg; Sean Maitland, Sean Lamont, Alex Dunbar, Niko Matawalu; Ruaridh Jackson, Henry Pyrgos; Ryan Grant, Pat MacArthur,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.