Edinburgh shock Gloucester in Heineken Cup

Edinburgh gave Gloucester’s Heineken Cup hopes a hammer blow when they beat the Cherry and Whites 10-16 at Kingsholm on Sunday.

Scottish side Edinburgh play a far more intelligent game than their opponents Gloucester in dreadful conditions.

Edinburgh did PRO12 colleagues Munster a huge favour as they reversed their
home defeat to Gloucester to leave the Irishmen sitting pretty five points clear
at the top of Pool 6.

Alan Solomons freshened up his side from the 23-12 defeat at Murrayfield a
week earlier and his new look team surprised the home side with the tenacity
of their defence, control at the breakdown and patience with ball in hand.

By the end they were good value for what was only their fourth win in 16 Heineken
Cup games on English soil. The victory also ended a run of five successive defeats
in Europe for the Scottish capital club.

A tight first half saw Edinburgh twice take the lead through the boot of full
back Jack Cuthbert. He kicked two opening penalties to open up a six point lead
before Gloucester finally got on the scoreboard after 35 minutes.

Edinburgh conceded a penalty near half-way and Freddie Burns hammered the ball
down into their 22. The line-out was secured and the driving maul went like
a runaway express train to the line, where French referee Romain Poite ordered
a penalty try for collapsing.

Burns added the conversion to make it 7-6, but on the stroke of half-time Cuthbert
stroked home a third penalty to edge Edinburgh’s noses back in front. Burns
regained the lead with a penalty five minutes into the second half, but the
decisive score came eight minutes later.

Edinburgh worked the ball through the phases and deep into the home 22 before
launching Kiwi centre Ben Atiga at the line for a match winning try. Cuthbert
added the conversion to take his match tally to 11 points and the remained of
the game was about containing Gloucester.

On a greasy surface, and with some superb defence, the Scottish side were able
to do that with something to spare. They lost prop Willem Nel to the sin bin
for a scrum offence, but still held their line firm, and then had the luxury
of playing against 14 men themselves for the final eight minutes when England
No 8 Ben Morgan also saw yellow.

Edinburgh move into third place in the pool on eight points, while Gloucester’s
only consolation was a losing bonus point. They now have to prepare to face
the pool leaders Munster at Kingsholm in the new year for a must win game.

Final Score Gloucester (7) 10 Edinburgh (9) 16


Tries: Penalty
Cons: Burns
Pens: Burns

Tries: Atiga
Cons: Cuthbert
Pens: Cuthbert 3

Match Officials
: Romain Poite (France),
Assistant ref: Cyril Lafon (France),
Assistant ref: Patrick Pechambert (France),
TMO: Jean-Pierre Pellaprat (France),
Citing Commissioner: John Charles (Wales)


Gloucester Rugby: Rob Cook; Martyn Thomas, Henry Trinder, Billy Twelvetrees (c), Jonny May; Freddie Burns, Tavis Knoyle; Yann Thomas, Darren Dawiduik, Shaun Knight, Elliot Stooke, James Hudson, Sione Kalafamoni, Matt Kvesic, Ben Morgan

Replacements: Huia Edmonds, Dan Murphy, Sila Puafisi, Tom Hicks, Matt Cox, Dan Robson, Mike Tindall, Charlie Sharples

Edinburgh Rugby: Greig Tonks;

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.