South Africa keep a clean slate against Scotland

South Africa’s Springboks managed to keep a clean slate against Scotland at Murrayfield and came away with a 0-28 victory.

The Springboks scored their first try from a line-out drive in the fifth minute,
courtesy of openside flanker Willem Alberts, and added two more before half-time,
full back Willie le Roux crossing the home whitewash on the half hour and then
setting up JP Pietersen.

South Africa had the match won at half-time, the visitors leading 21-0, with
replacement prop Coenie Oosthuizen adding a fourth try as Heyneke Meyer’s team
made it two wins out of two on their November tour of Europe, following last
weekend’s 24-15 victory against Wales.

They did suffer one setback, Bath flanker Francois Louw departing in a neck
brace with four minutes remaining, but they move on to finish their tour against
France in Paris next Saturday still yet to concede a try.

Meyer made four changes to the team that beat Wales, bringing Gurthro Steenkamp
and Adriaan Strauss into the front row, recalling veteran Bakkies Botha in the
second row and installing le Roux at full-back, with Patrick Lambie switched
to fly half.

Scotland made six changes to the team that overcame Japan 42-17 eight days

There were recalls in the pack for locks Richie Gray and Jim Hamilton, for
openside flanker John Barclay and for props Alasdair Dickinson and Moray Low
— and a first start for Saracens utility back Duncan Taylor at inside centre.

For all of the increased ballast in the home pack, however, there was no stopping
South Africa when they put their line-out maul into operation.

With five minutes on the clock, Lambie kicked a penalty to touch in the left
corner, No 8 Duane Vermeulen plucked Strauss’s throw out of the air and the
Springbok pack drove Alberts over the home try-line for an easy score.

Lambie landed the conversion to give South Africa a 7-0 lead but the outside-half,
who has Scottish grandparents, was wide of the mark with a penalty attempt ten
minutes later, after Tommy Seymour obstructed Bryan Habana.

It took Scotland 29 minutes to break out of their own half and mount their
first attack, but in doing so they handed South Africa their second try.

In attempting to find Richie Gray with an outside pass, Ruaridh Jackson merely
succeeded in slamming the ball off Sean Maitland’s shoulder, allowing le Roux
to gather possession and gallop 70 metres for his fourth international try.

Lambie nailed the conversion and did so again two minutes later after the outstanding
le Roux fashioned a third Springbok try, breaking from deep before angling a
kick to the right corner for Pietersen to celebrate his 50th cap with a five-point

That left Scotland 21-0 down at the interval and facing a mountainous challenge.

South Africa could afford to take their foot off the gas, with one eye on their
trip to Paris, and still coast to victory.

Their fourth try came in the 53rd minute, Oosthuizen scoring from a line-out
drive in the left corner and Lambie once again converting.

The biggest cheer from the home crowd came in the 61st minute when Gray was
replaced by his 19-year-old brother Jonny, the Glasgow lock becoming Scotland’s
first teenage cap since Henry Inglis in 1951.

Scotland finish their November series against Australia at Murrayfield on Saturday.

Final Score Scotland 0 (0) South Africa 28 (21)


Tries –
Pen –
Con –
Drop –

South Africa
Tries – Alberts, Le Roux, Pietersen, Oosthuizen
Pen –
Con – Lambie (4)
Drop –

Match Official
: Jerome Garces (FRA)



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.