Rhule helps Cheetahs to Griquas Currie Cup win

Four tries from winger Raymond Rhule helped the Free State Cheetahs to a 21-52 victory over Griquas in the Currie Cup.

The result all but seals the Free State Cheetahs place in the Semi-finals of
the Currie Cup as they took the four try bonus point out of the match and they
now only need a single point against the Blue Bulls next weekend to make sure
of their playoff spot.

Griquas, on the other hand, will now start preparing for the promotion/relegation

The Cheetahs started at a steady pace and put Griquas under good pressure early
on. The first three-pointer came courtesy of flyhalf Elgar Watts in the third

Griquas looked to match the visitors on the attack, but a lapse in concentration
in the ninth minute led to the Cheetahs first try via prop Schalk van der Merwe.

Van der Merwe burst over from a Griquas lineout five metres from their own
goal line. Griquas hooker Ryno Barnes’ throw-in went astray and Van der Merwe
reacted well to gather and cross the whitewash.

Watts was called into service again shortly after to kick another penalty,
which he did successfully.

Griquas struggled in the scrums the whole afternoon with new prop Nico Pretorius
conceding many penalties. Watts kicked another in the 26th minute, to stretch
the Cheetahs lead to 14 points.

Griquas finally got on the scoreboard four minutes from half time when lock
Dalton Davis converted a break by Jaco Nepgen for the hosts. Full back Gouws
Prinsloo converted.

The Cheetahs started the second half at frantic pace, with only good defence
from Griquas denying the visitors an early try. The hosts did however still
concede many penalties and Watts helped himself to another three points.

The Cheetahs scored a second try in the 58th minute through winger Raymond
Rhule, who rounded off a back-hand pass by centre Johann Sadie with Watts converting.

More tries followed as replacement scrumhalf Piet van Zyl and Rhule both dotted
down. The two tries were converted, leaving the hosts to trail by 31 points.

Griquas replied near the end with a try by replacement lock Rory Arnold. Prinsloo
converted, but it was much too late for Griquas.

Griquas went on to score another try with lock Jaco Nepgen bargin his way over,
before conceding a third and fourth to Rhule before the final whistle.

Final Score Griquas 21 (7) Cheetahs 52 (14)


Tries – D.Davis, R.Arnold,J.Nepgen
Pen –
Con – G.Prinsloo 3
Drop –

Tries -S. Van der Merwe, R. Rhule 4, P. Van Zyl
Pen – E.Watts 3
Con – E.Watts 2, W. Du Plessis 3
Drop –

Match Officials
Jonathan Kaplan
Assistant Referees: Lourens van der Merwe, Francois de Bruin
TMO: Gerrie Coetzee with JJ Wagner in training


Griquas: Gouws Prinsloo; Richard Lawson, JP Nel, Howard Mnisi, Rocco Jansen; Francois Brummer, Marnus Hugo; Leon Karemaker, RJ Liebenberg, Marnus Schoeman, Jaco Nepgen, Dalton Davis, Nico Pretorius, Ryno Barnes (capt), Steph Roberts.

Replacements: Matthew Dobson, Brummer Badenhorst, Rory Arnold, Patrick O’Brien, Jacques Coetzee, Du Randt Gerber, Jean Stemmet.

Free State Cheetahs: Hennie Daniller, Piet Lindeque, Johann Sadie, Robert Ebersohn, Raymond Rhule, Elgar Watts, Sarel Pretorius, Boom Prinsloo (capt), Lappies Labuschagne, Oupa Mohoje, Lood de Jager, Francois Uys, Trevor Nyakane, Hercu Liebenberg, Schalk van der Merwe.

Replacements: AJ le Roux, Rossouw de Klerk, Freddie Ngoza, Philip van der Walt, Piet van Zyl, Willie du Plessis, Joubert Engelbrecht.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.