Lions down Kings & edge nearer to Super Rugby

The Lions edged closer to returning to Super Rugby in 2014 when they beat the Southern Kings 19-26 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth.

The match is the first of two Promotion/ Relegation matches between the teams and the combined winner of both matches will win a place in next year’s Super Rugby tournament.

The matches are being played for bonus points and points differential so the
Lions took four points from the match and the Kings took a losing bonus point.

The second match will be played next weekend in Johannesburg which is home
for the Lions so they will have an advantage.

The difference came down to a first half intercept try by Stokkies Hanekom in the dying moments of the first half.

The Lions led 14-19 at half time after Hanekom’s dying moments of the first
half to give his team a 19-14

The Lions extended their lead to 12 points in the second half with another
try by Hanekom and looked to be on their way to a comfortable victory.

However a a yellow card to centre Dylan Des Fountain in the 68th minute ensured
that the Lions had a tense finish as the Kings came storming back when replacement
lock Steven Sykes powered over the line for their second try.

Replacement flyhalf George Whitehead missed the conversion, but, in the end,
it proved inconsequential because the Lions did an excellent job of holding
the home side at bay for the rest of the game.

The Kings losing point from the game will be little consolation as they now
look ahead to a tough away fixture next weekend.

The Lions were solid through most of the match and their good defence frustrated
a number of attacking opportunities enjoyed by the Kings.

Besides Hanekom’s two tries, flyhalf Jantjies had a good night with the boot,
slotting four penalties and two conversions for a personal contribution of 16

The first half was an evenly fought affair, with the sides trading several
penalties before the Kings eventually cracked the visitors’ defence with a well
executed cross-kick by flyhalf Demetri Catrakilis after a five-metre lineout.

With Marcello Sampson standing wide on the left, the Kings flyhalf’s accurate
kick landed in his hands and he dived over for the first try of the match to
put his team back in the lead at 14-12.

But just as the Kings were building up steam, Hanekom brought them crashing
down, when he intercepted inside his own half to race through to score under
the posts.

Earlier, the teams traded penalties, with Jantjies slotting four for the Lions
and Catrakilis knocking over three for the Kings.

Catrakilis could miss the second match as he was forced to leave the field
in the 57th minute holding his hand and looked to be in some discomfort.

More to follow.

Final Score Kings 19 (14) Lions 26 (19)


Tries – M. Sampson, S Sykes
Pen – D. Catrakilis 3
Con –
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – S. Hanekom 2
Pen – E.Jantjies 4
Con – E.Jantjies 2
Drop –
Cards – D. des Fountain (yellow 68th min)

Match Officials
Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant Ref 1:Jason Jaftha (South Africa),
Assistant Ref 2:Sindile Mayende (South Africa)
TMO : Deon van Blommestein (South Africa)


Southern Kings

15. SP Marais,14. Hadleigh Parkes,13. Ronnie Cooke (Vice Captain),12. Shane Gates,11. Marcello Sampson,10. Demetri Catrakilis,9. Shaun Venter,8. Jacques Engelbrecht,7. Wimpie van der Walt,6. Cornell du Preez,5. David Bulbring,4. Darron Nell (Captain),3. Kevin Buys,2. Bandise Maku,1. Schalk Ferreira


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.