Sharks end on a high by hammering Kings

The Sharks ended their Super Rugby season on a high by hammering the Southern Kings 58-13 at Kings Park in Durban.

The result moved the Sharks into seventh place in the standings but they were already out of the running for the play offs.

The Sharks outscored the Southern Kings by ten tries to two.

The loss meant the Southern Kings completed their first Super Rugby season
without a victory over another South African franchise, with three victories
and a draw to their name. They finish in last place.

The Kings will have to shake off this loss as they have to prepare for the
promotion/relegation matches against the Lions.

The Eastern Cape franchise may have gained supporters throughout their first
season in Super Rugby, but they were completely outclassed by the Sharks on

The Sharks romped to victory scoring 10 tries to the Kings’ two first-half

The two sides exchanged early blows in the match with Kings flyhalf George
Whitehead first crossing the whitewash in the third minute.

Kings centre Waylon Murray intercepted a Meyer Bosman pass to offload to Whitehead
on the inside, with the flyhalf missing his own try.

The hosts replied with a try of their own three mintues later when flanker
Marcell Coetzee scored off a rolling maul, with Bosman converting to hand his
side a two-point lead.

As the match progressed the Sharks started to dominate play as they got the
upperhand in the physical battles.

In the 13th minute the home side again found their way over the tryline from
a rolling maul, with hooker Bismarck du Plessis controlling the ball from the
back to touch down for his side, with Bosman adding the two points.

Playing out of position, Odwa Ndungane ignited the attack for his side as he
kicked the ball through, which he chased and fielded to go over for the Sharks’
third try of the match (19-5).

The visitors then launched a comeback as Whitehead converted a penalty attempt
in the 24th minute, and six minutes later Mpho Mbiyozo scored their second try
of the evening.

Whitehead missed the conversion with the Eastern Cape team trailing by six

Their efforts, however, came to nothing as the Sharks were awarded a penalty
try three minutes later, with Bosman converting to hand his side a 26-13 lead
going into the half-time break.

The Sharks proved to be ruthless after the recess as they added six tries to
the four from the first half to completely dominate their coastal compatriots.

Riaan Viljoen kick-started his side’s seven try haul in the second half as
he touched down four minutes after the restart, with Bosman converting.

Four minutes later prop Beast Mtawarira found his way over the tryline as he
sniped to the right from a ruck to score.

The Kings’ defence crumbled as the Sharks’ attacked the gainline with great
intent and finding their way past the defenders increasingly easy.

With little over 20 minutes left in the match Louis Ludik added his name to
the scoreboard with captain Keegan Daniel, Fred Zeilinga and Bosman scoring
in the last 10 minutes of the encounter.

Final Score Sharks 58 (26) Kings 13 (13)


Tries – M.Coetzee, B. du Plessis, O.Ndungane, Penalty try, R.Viljoen, T.Mtawarira, L.Ludik, K.Daniel, F.Zeilinga, M.Bosman
Pen –
Con – M.Bosman 4
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – G.Whitehead, M. Mbiyozo
Pen – G.Whitehead
Con –
Drop –
Cards – D.Oosthuizen (32nd min yellow), H. Parkes (76th min yellow)

Match Officials
Jonathan Kaplan
Assistant Ref 1:Marius Jonker
Assistant Ref 2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.