Bath clip the Falcons’ wings

European Challenge Cup finalists Bath ended their Guinness Premiership away nightmare as they battled to a 20-12 victory over Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park on Saturday.

The win also ended Newcastle’s impressive home record of five months unbeaten on Tyneside – a disappoiting result for the near sell-out crowd.

It also ended any hopes Newcastle had of finishing seventh in the Premiership but with Sale losing heavily at Harlequins, it was a forlorn hope anyway.

Bath’s blanket defence was the key to their win – and the fact they took their chances when they came along.

Newcastle did not have the ball for the opening three minutes – and they paid for it when John Rudd was penalised for a high tackle and Bath put it in the corner for Peter Short to be driven over with some ease.

Barkley missed the conversion and sixth minute penalty otherwise it could have been 10-0.

Newcastle had not seen any ball until Toby Flood and Mathew Tait carved their way through, only for Matt Burke to spill it on the 22.

It did not halt the continuous Falcons attacks, with Tait surging through and then Flood missed a penalty in the 14th minute.

Newcastle should have scored in 24th minute when the ball was moved wide and Andy Long shovelled the pass to Geoff Parling – but it went straight through the back row five metres from the line and into touch.

But Newcastle were through like a shot on the long line-out and forced a knock on and launched wave after wave of attacks.

It was all Newcastle but then they handed seven points to Bath when Burke expertly took a high kick and inexplicably decided to pass to Jamie Noon and David Bory accepted the gift and Barkley converted for 12-0 at half-time.

Andy Buist came on at the break for Newcastle and made an immediate impact when he was driven over from a line-out for a try converted by Flood.

But Bath hit back quickly when Shaun Berne dived over in the corner with some question marks against the Falcons defence.

Once again it was all Newcastle and a searing break from Flood and Tait almost led to a try before Ollie Phillips cut through and Tait finished it off.

It seemed Newcastle would come through to take the points – but they were over-elaborate and when Berne dropped a goal two minutes from time, Bath were out of sight.

Try scorers:

Tries:Buist, Tait

For Bath:
Tries: Short, Bory, Berne
Cons: Barkley
Drop-goal: Berne

The teams:

Newcastle Falcons: 15 Matthew Burke (c), 14 Tom May, 13 Mathew Tait, 12 Jamie Noon, 11 John Rudd, 10 Toby Flood, 9 James Grindal, 8 Phil Dowson, 7 Ben Woods, 6 Geoff Parling, 5 Jason Oakes, 4 Mark Sorenson, 3 Micky Ward, 2 Andy Long, 1 Joe McDonnell
Replacements: 16 Jon Golding, 17 Matt Thompson, 18 Andy Buist, 19 Brent Wilson, 20 Ollie Phillips, 21 Hall Charlton, 22 Loki Crichton

Bath: 15 Michael Stephenson, 14 Tom Cheeseman, 13 Chev Walker, 12 Olly Barkley, 11 David Bory, 10 Shaun Berne, 9 Andy Williams, 8 Isaac Feaunati, 7 Michael Lipman, 6 Peter Short, 5 Danny Grewcock, 4 Steve Borthwick (c), 3 Matt Stevens, 2 Lee Mears, 1 David Barnes.
Replacements: 16 Pieter Dixon, 17 Laurence Ovens, 18 Andy Beattie, 19 James Scaysbrook, 20 Chris Goodman, 21 Nick Walshe, 22 Joe Maddock.

Referee: Rob Debney
Touch judges: Don Helme, Roger Baileff
Assessor: Ed Morrison
Television match official: Trevor Parlett

365 Digital

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.