Cheetahs too strong for toothless Lions

The Cheetahs got revenge for their first round Super Rugby loss with a 26-5 victory over the Lions in Bloemfontein on Saturday.

In the first round of this year’s Super Rugby season the Lions and Cheetahs played each other in Johannesburg and the Lions edged the Cheetahs 27-25 and after six matches played that is still the Lions only win so far.

The Cheetahs led the match throughout but scored all but three of their points in the first half.

The Cheetahs went out to a 23-0 lead at half time and kept the Lions scoreless for 65 minutes until Cobus Grobbelaar scored a try which turned out to be the Lions only points.

The result means that the Lions drop down to 15th place below the Blues due to points differential and the Cheetahs move up to 11th.

The Cheetahs scored two good tries as they they recorded their third win in a game in which they led from start to finish.

The Cheetahs were good on the attack and clinical in their defence, conceding only five points to a lacklustre Lions side.

The Cheetahs attacked from almost everywhere on the field and gained good ground, but their inability to keep the ball in hand in contact situations killed many of their chances.

Much the same could be said of the Lions. In the 15th minute flanker Derick Minnie broke away but the visitors could not convert their possession into points.

Cheetahs fly half Johan Goosen slotted a penalty through the posts in the 20th minute to give his side the lead. That was after he almost stunned the visitors in the sixth minute with a huge penalty kick of 66 metres, which went just wide of the upright.

The Lions struggled in the lineouts, although youngster Paul Willemse did well in his debut match. He tackled well and even managed to stop burly Cheetahs flanker Ashley Johnson dead in his tracks a couple of times.

The Cheetahs managed a couple of good attacks and centre Robert Ebersohn scored the home side’s first try, an brilliant individual effort after prop WP Nel collected a poor kick from Lions fullback Jaco Taute.

The Lions suddenly were under a lot of pressure resulting in unnecessary penalties for high tackles and shoulder charges which Goosen kicked with ease.

Ebersohn scored his second five pointer after Cheetahs winger Willie le Roux broke through some poor defence.

In the last three minutes of the first half the Lions put the Cheetahs under immense pressure on their goal line, but despite giving away multiple penalties in the dying seconds, the Cheetahs defence was rock solid and the Lions were left wanting.

Lions came out all guns blazing in the second half, but the visitors still could not convert some good possession into points.

Even when they set up camp on the Cheetahs goal line for a good five minutes, they were unable to break through the Cheetahs solid defensive structures.

The Lions finally managed to score their first try of the game in the 65th minute when flanker Cobus Grobbelaar went over after a good break by replacement scrum half Michael Bondesio. That was just after Lions winger Andries Coetzee was denied in the corner by good defence from Cheetahs full back Hennie Daniller.

Sias Ebersohn kicked another penalty after Grobbelaar’s try after which neither side troubled the scorers.

Final Score Cheetahs 26 (23) Lions 5 (0)


Tries – R Ebersohn 2
Pen -J Goosen 3, S Ebersohn
Con – J Goosen 2
Drop –
Cards –

Tries – C Grobbelaar
Pen –
Con –
Drop –
Cards –

Match Officials
Mark Lawrence
Assistant Ref 1:Joey Salmans
Assistant Ref 2:Reuben Roussouw
TMO:Johann Meuwesen




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.