Late Stade try knocks Chiefs out in Challenge Cup

A try from Samoan star Paul Williams two minutes from time saw Stade Francais edge English club Exeter 22-17 on Thursday to advance to the semi-finals of the European Challenge Cup.

Stade, last year’s losing finalists, ultimately proved too strong for a plucky Exeter side despite failing to dominate the game.

Exeter fly-half Ignacio Mieres opened the scoring with a 20th minute penalty after the home side strayed offside at a ruck.

The Argentinian missed his second effort but then saw counterpart and compatriot Felipe Contepomi sin binned soon after for reacting to a bone-crunching hit by hooker Chris Whitehead with a wild, swinging punch.

Mieres kicked the ensuing penalty, but Julien Dupuy clawed one back for Stade after a reckless tackle by Exeter winger Gonzalo Camacho.

The respective kickers then traded penalties to leave the half-time score at 9-6 and the game delicately poised with each team failing to find their rhythm.

Stade came out firing on all cylinders in the second period, a dink through from Contepomi eluding the covering Phil Dollman but falling nicely for Djibril Camara, the full-back stretching to dot down in the corner for the game’s first try.

Dupuy missed the conversion but hit a penalty in the 48th minute, cancelled out immediately by Mieres.

The France international scrum-half was on target again to stretch Stade’s lead to 17-12.

But with 11 mintues remaining, missed tackles from Contepomi and Dupuy allowed Exeter’s Fijian centre Sireli Naqelevuki in for a soft try, Mieres missing the conversion to leave the scores tied.

The Argentinian, a former Stade player, then crucially missed a snatched drop-goal. The Parisians came roaring back up the pitch and Dupuy found a gap and sent out an inch-perfect pass to the fast-approaching Williams for the decisive try.

On Friday, defending champions and current English Premiership leaders Harlequins face a tough away game to the Jonny Wilkinson-led Toulon on the French Mediterranean coast.

Wasps host Biarritz on Saturday, with Brive entertaining Scarlets on Sunday in the final quarter-final.

Final Score Stade Francais Paris 22 (6) Exeter Chiefs 17 (9)


Stade Francais Paris
Try – D Camara, P Williams
Penalty – J Dupuy (4)
Yellow Card – F Contepomi (26)

Exeter Chiefs
Try – S Naqelevuki
Penalty – I Mieres (4)

Attendance :4,693

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)


Stade Francais Paris: D Camara; P Sackey, M Turinui, P Williams, J Arias (H Bonneval 73); F Contepomi (J Fillol 75), J Dupuy; R Roncero (O Milloud 51), D Szarzewski (L Sempere 44), R Slimani, A van Zyl, P Pape (A Flanquart 63), G Smith, A Burban (P Rabadan 63), S Parisse [capt] (D Lyons 51)

Exeter Chiefs: P Dollman; G Camacho, B Rennie (S Naqelevuki 61), J Shoemark, M Jess; I Mieres, H Thomas (K Barrett 63); H Tui (C Budgen 80), C Whitehead (N Clark 80), C Mitchell (B Moon 36), T Hayes [capt], J Hanks (A Muldowney 61), T Johnson (B White 41), J Scaysbrook, R Baxter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.