Gloucester upset Connacht in Heineken Cup

Gloucester kept their Heineken Cup campaign alive when they beat Connacht 10-14 in Pool 6 of the Heineken Cup at Galway Sportsground.

In a nail-biting encounter at the Galway Sportsground it was the boot of Freddie
Burns that proved the difference. The fly-half slotted two penalties before
James Simpson-Daniel grabbed the opening try.

Gavin Duffy hit-back for the hosts to close the gap to 11-7 at the interval.

Niall O’Connor cut the deficit to a point with a well-struck second-half penalty
but that was nullified by Burns as Gloucester hung-on for their first Heineken
Cup Pool Six win of the season.

Connacht started the clash with plenty of endeavour, but with a strong win
at their backs Gloucester got the scoreboard ticking after just six minutes
thanks to a Burns penalty.

O’Connor had the opportunity to level the scores on 14 minutes but was off-target
with a relatively straight-forward penalty.

The Cherry and Whites fly-half stretched his team’s lead with another penalty
on 16 minutes, just moments after missing a previous shot at goal.

Gloucester then grabbed the game’s first try to open up a commanding lead.
Following several phases the ball was spread wide and Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu
drew two men and offloaded to Simpson-Daniel for the try.

But the visitors shot themselves in the foot moments later as Duffy pounced
for a crucial try. Burns and Narraway hesitated under a high-ball and the Connacht
captain collected it on the bounce, before stepping passed Olly Morgan and racing

O’Connor added the simple conversion to cut Gloucester’s lead to 11-7. The
English club almost snatched a second try just before the interval following
a Henry Trinder chip but the ball beat Sharples over the dead-ball line.

O’Connor struck with a penalty within three minutes of the restart of play
to cut the deficit to a single point.

A deadlock ensued for the next 28 minutes as both sides were let down by mistakes
in the final-quarter.

Mark McCrae thought he had snatched a crucial interception as he raced clear
from his own twenty-two but Neil Paterson called play back for an earlier offside
offence and Burns stretched Gloucester’s lead to 14-10.

Both sides squandered opportunities in the closing stages but the Cherry and
Whites had done enough in the first-half to clinch the victory.

Final Score Connacht 10 (7) Gloucester 14 (11)


Tries: Duffy
Penalties: O’Connor
Conversions: O’Connor

Tries: Simpson-Daniel
Penalties: Burns 3

Referee: Neil Paterson (Scotland)

Connacht Rugby: G Duffy [capt]; M McCrea, K Tonetti, D McSharry, T O’Halloran; N O’Connor, F Murphy; B Wilkinson, E Reynecke, R Loughney, M McCarthy, G Naoupu, D Gannon, J Muldoon, R Ofisa

Replacements: A Flavin, D Buckley, R Ah You, M Kearney, E McKeon, P O’Donohoe, M Jarvis, F Vainikolo

Gloucester Rugby: O Morgan; C Sharples, H Trinder, E Fuimaono-Sapolu, J Simpson-Daniel; F Burns, R Lawson; N Wood, S Lawson, D Chistolini, P Buxton, J Hamilton, B Deacon, A Hazell, L Narraway

Replacements: M Cortese, D Murphy, R Harden, W James, A Qera, N Runciman, T Taylor, J May

With thanks to ERCRugby.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.