Lions strike late to earn Cheetahs draw

The Lions scored twice in the last five minutes to earn a 25-25 draw with the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.

The Cheetahs were well on their way to win the encounter with seven minutes
left in the match but a yellow card to scrumhalf Tewis de Bruyn signalled the
Lions’ fight-back.

Earlier, the Cheetahs scored first as flyhalf Johan Goosen knocked over a penalty
conversion after four minutes of play.

Two minutes later the Lions replied as flanker Cobus Grobbelaar scored in the
corner after his side spread the ball wide, with Jantjies missing the conversion.

The Cheetahs, however, slowly but surely opened the gap as flyhalf Johan Goosen
through a number of penalties, and also added another three points with a drop

The pivot scored all of his side’s points in the first half giving the Cheetahs
a seven point lead going into the halftime break.

The youngster, however, left the field on a stretcher shortly after the restart
due to a massive collision with Lions fullback Jaco Taute.

Although his absence was a setback for the Cheetahs, it did not impede their
scoring ability as replacement Sias Ebersohn succeeded with all of his attempts
at goal.

Ten minutes into the second half they scored their first try of the match with
scrumhalf Piet van Zyl diving over the line.

After numerous probing drives towards the try line, Van Zyl picked the ball
up just short of goal, then threw a dummy, to score his five-pointer.

Ebersohn converted to give the Cheetahs a sizeable lead which they attempted
to defend.

The Lions, however, saw many of their chances go to waste as their handling
let them down.

They made small strides in shortening the gap with Jantjies converting a penalty
on the 60 minute mark.

The Bloemfontein side looked well on their way to securing a crucial victory
but were dealt a big blow with seven minutes remaining in the encounter as replacement
scrumhalf Tewis de Bruyn received a yellow card.

This proved to be their downfall as the Lions scored two tries within three
minutes of each other.

Lions prop Jacobie Adriaanse scored the first, after he picked the ball up
from a ruck, a metre from the try line to score an easy try, with Jantjies converting.

The Lions launched the ball was wide to flanker Warren Whiteley who made a
dash for the line.

He drew in a defender then passed to winger Michael Killian who coasted through
for another try.

Despite the massive pressure on his young shoulders, Jantjies converted to
level the scores with a minute of play left in the match.

Final Score Cheetahs 25 (12) Lions 25 (5)


Try: Piet van Zyl
Conversion: Sias Ebersohn
Penalties: Johan Goosen (4)
Drop goal: Goosen

Tries: Cobus Grobbelaar, Jacobie Adriaanse, Michael Killian
Conversions: Elton Jantjies (2)
Penalties: Jantjies (2).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.