Crusaders whitewash the Force

This was a live match report.




The Western Force have made remarkable progress. From last in their debut year to being among the play-off contenders in year two.

Yet, there are still some doubters … those who feel the bubble will burst soon.

What better place than Jade Stadium against the tournament’s most successful team to put to rest all those negative slants.

Western Force coach John Mitchell readily acknowledges the six-time champion Crusaders as the “benchmark” of Super Rugby and feels that beating them on their own turf would ensure the Force are taken serious as competition contenders.

“The Crusaders are a wonderfully talented and well-coached team, and they have an outstanding record of 24 consecutive wins at home, with only four Aussie teams having beaten them in Christchurch in 12 years,” Mitchell said.

“The Crusaders have set the standard and we must take steps forward to meet that standard,” he said.


Match detail


The Force are playing their game in the Crusaders half. They were in control of the ball and were dominating possession.


The Crusaders had enjoyed 5% of the possession and Rico Gear came up with a try. The try was not converted.


The Crusaders may have started slowly but after 10 minutes they settled down and look very composed as Mose Tuiali’i scores the Crusaders second try.


Daniel Carter then converted the try.


The Force managed to settle things down a little and had a good five minute spell of competing with the Crusaders.


The Force then gave a away a kickable penalty and Danile Carter kicked it giving the Crusaders a 15 point lead.


Statiscally The Force lead the Crusaders so far in turnovers but the scoreline tells another story completely.


Mose Tuiali’i broke from the scrum sucking in a feew defenders and the passed to Kieran Read who scored the Crusaders third try. Carter Converts.


Just before half time Cameron Shepherd had a shot at goal but missed.


Half time Score was Crusaders 22 Force 0


The Crusaders started the second half with a 25 m rolling maul and Ross Filipo went down to score the bonus point try which Carter converted.


In the Crusaders first try of the second half Nathan Sharpe takes a knock as he falls in the lineout.


The Force start to flow a little better and work the ball in the Crusaders 25 but the Crusaders knock on. From the scrum the Crusaders clear and within a flash the ball is back down in the Force’s 25.


Whilst the Force have stopped the flow of tries coming in for now they are still struggling to get anywhere near to scoring some points. This is largely due to their backline being subdued as the Crusaders are applying contant pressure.


Mauger breaks and passes to Rico Gear and as he goes to ground he passes to Richard McCaw who scores another try for the Crusaders.


Carter sends the conversion wide to the left.


After a long break in play due to  Brendan Cannon being stretchered off the Crusaders started off again with another try.


Carter converted this one again.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.