Waratahs beat Reds in Sydney

The Reds have not beaten the Waratahs since 2004. All of the last six matches have gone the way of the Waratahs.

Match detail

We are waiting for the kick off. The match is underway.


2.00: The Waratahs start well and force the Reds into making a penalty.


3.00: Berrick Barnes takes the penalty kick and nails it.


5.00: The Waratahs set up a line out in the Reds 25 but the Reds win the ball.


6.00: The Waratahs are pressing hard at the Reds in the Reds 25. Drop goal attempt from Barnes – he misses but we go back for a penalty.


7.00: Barnes bangs over the penalty. The Waratahs have been quite clinical.


9.00: Kurtley Beale takes a quick tap but gets caught. As he is held he pops the pop over his shoulder to Drew Mitchell who darts off and scores the first try of the match.


11.00: Berrick Barnes misses the conversion. Still it’s a point a minute.


14.00: Another penalty to the Waratahs as Ioane gets caught. Thats 4-0 to the Tahs. Barnes misses.


19.00: Reds finally get the ball into the Waratahs 25. They win a line out and try to get the maul going. The Waratahs however turn the ball over and boot it out to safety.


20.00: The Waratahs are being incredibly precise and clinical. However just as I write that they give away a penalty.


21.00 Quade Cooper bangs over the penalty and takes his Reds total points to 222.


23.00: The Waratahs fire straight back and run the ball into the Reds 25. They get about a metre away from the tryline but the Reds turn it over and boot it out.


26.00: The Reds find their groove a but and start to put the Waratahs under some pressure but they give away a penalty. Tahs kick for touch.


30.00: The Reds are becoming frustrated. Horwill injures his ankle and goes down. He gets some attention and may have to come off. It’s a penalty to the Waratahs and they kick for touch.


32.00: The ref says play on and the line out goes ahead as Horwill struggles and limps off. The Waratahs use the numbers and almost score in the corne but the Reds push them wide and then take the ball out. Horwill’s season ended last year in Round two !


34.00: Goodness me! Dave Dennies steals the ball at the lineout and darts for the line from the 25m line and all the Reds can do is grasp at his jersey. He scores !


34.00: Berrick Barnes takes the conversion but misses.


37.00: The Reds look to score just before the half and they start their attack on the half way line. They have clearly upped the presure.  They swing the ball but the Tahs are up on them fast. Faainga gets flattened but they keep the ball alive and the Genia has to put the ball into touch.


40.00: The siren sounds for half time but we have time for one more play. It’s a penalty to the Reds. Cooper takes the kick from about 40m out. He curls it in.


The half time score was Waratahs 16  Reds 6


The second half is underway.


41.00: Not sure why but Phil Waugh has come off. He must be bad to come off.


42.00: The Waratahs try the high ball but as the Reds catch the ball they knock on.


44.00: The Reds concede a penalty at the scrum. Berrick Barnes takes the kick but misses.


46.00:Tatafu Polota-Nau gets some attention as he ha

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.