Sale win battle of the boot over Leeds Carnegie

Sale Sharks won the battle of the boot 3-6 in a tryless Aviva Premiership clash held at Headingley on Friday night.


The victory moves Sale Sharks up to sixth in the Premiership and is their second away victory.

Sale Sharks’ Nick Macleod kicked two second-half penalties which clinched the narrow win over the bottom placed Leeds.

Macleod’s Welsh compatriot Ceiron Thomas kicked Leeds into a lead early in the second half but missed two further penalties, notably from just inside the Sale half eight minutes from the end, to leave Leeds at the foot of the Aviva Premiership table without a win from their first six games.

Sale, meanwhile, head towards mid-table after a third victory of the season which was hardly inspiring, but enough to overcome the Yorkshire side.

There was further worry for Leeds head coach Neil Back and his World Cup winning team-mate Martin Johnson, the England manager, as Leeds flanker Hendre Fourie failed to return for the second half after suffering a rib injury.

The South Africa-born flanker will have a nervy wait for the diagnosis having already missed out on a possible debut on the summer tour to Australia due to a calf injury.

There was better news for Johnson as Mark Cueto and Andrew Sheridan for Sale and Steve Thompson of Leeds emerged relatively unscathed ahead of the England squad meet-up on Monday for the build-up to the autumn internationals.

The first half was a fierce, if uninspiring, battle between the two northern foes.

Thomas missed a 16th-minute penalty on his return from bench duty during the European break, and on the three occasions Leeds forced their way into the opposition 22 they turned over possession with Fourie and centre James Tinknell guilty of spilling the ball.

Sale, with England wingers Ben Cohen and Cueto on either flank were content to let Leeds have the ball with their strong defence repelling everything the Yorkshiremen threw at them in a scoreless first half.

Despite Fourie’s absence at the start of the second half, Leeds belatedly got the scoreboard ticking over three minutes in through a Thomas penalty.

Macleod levelled matters on 50 minutes after Charlie Hodgson had struck a post with a drop goal when French referee Jerome Garces had allowed advantage.

Macleod then booted Sale ahead on 58 minutes and would have extended that lead had a 60-metre penalty shortly after not hit the upright.

From closer in Thomas pushed a kick wide on 72 minutes, after which the hosts began to get desperate as they tried to force the issue.

Leeds were guilty of poor passing that will have frustrated Back and director of rugby Andy Key, who are trying to initiate a more free-flowing game at Headingley Carnegie.

But Sale, led by Neil Briggs for the first time, were never really threatened and hung on.

Leeds Carnegie 3 (0) Sale Sharks 6 (0)


Leeds Carnegie

Sale Sharks
Penalties: MacLeod 2


Man of the match : Anitelea Tuilagi


Referee: Jerome Garces (FFR, 2nd Premiership game)



Leeds Carnegie 15. Ceiron Thomas,14. Michael Stephenson,13. James Tincknell,12. Luther Burrell,11. Lee Blackett,10. Lachlan Mackay,9. Scott Mathie,1. Gareth Hardy,2. Steve Thompson,3. Juan Gomez,4. Tom Denton,5. Marco Wentzel (C),6. Kearnan Myall,7. Hendre Fourie,8. Daniel Browne

Replacements : 16. Andy Titterrell,17. Miguel Alonso,18. Phil Swainston,19. Danny Paul,20. Rhys Oakley,21. Warren Fury,22. Scott Barrow,23. Henry Faafili

Sale Sharks : Paul Williams; Ben Cohen, Nick Macleod, Anitelea Tuilagi, Mark C

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.