Waratahs beat Cheetahs in Sydney

The Waratahs have rested captain Phil Waugh for this match and Cheetahs captain Juan Smith has stayed behind in South Africa due to personal reasons.

Both teams then will play this one without their regular captains.

Match detail

We are waiting for the kick off.


The match is underway.


1.00: The Cheetahs start well and work the ball up to the Waratahs line but they turn the ball over and boot it to safety.


5.00: The light rain that is coming down is preventing running rugby.


7.00: The Waratahs get some good ball and get into the Cheetahs 25 for the first time. The Cheetahs give away a penalty so Halangahu takes the kick and nails it.


13.00: The Waratahs get some better ball on a wet night and Barnes boots the ball up for Turner but he gets pushed into touch.


16.00: Luke Burgess has a dart forward as the Waratahs are gaining the ascendancy. The Cheetahs are forced into giving a penalty away.


17.00: Daniel Halangahu nails the penalty. Possession and territory now in favour of the Waratahs.


22.00:The Cheetahs attempt to clear the ball downfield but Meyer Bosman kicks the ball straight into touch so we go back to where he kicked it.


25.00: The Waratahs are all over the Cheetahs as Barnes stays up after an ankle tap and he passes to Kurtley Beale who gets the Waratahs to within 5m. The Waratahs recycle and Baxter comes close but they swing the ball wide for Rob Horne who goes over for the first try of the match.


26.00:Halangahu adds the conversion.


28.00: Naas Olivier gives away a penalty so Waratahs captain Dean Mumm says they will kick to the corner.


29.00: Waratahs win the line out. They move the ball to the centre of the field in front of the posts but the maul is brought down so the Waratahs get a penalty.


30.00: They pick and drive but the Cheetahs turn it over and kick to safety.


34.00: The Cheetahs give away a penalty at the scrum so Halangahu takes a shot at posts.


35.00: Halangahu takes the shot and nails it.


37.00: From the restart the Waratahs get blown up for obstruction so Naas Olivier takes the penalty kick and puts the Cheetahs on the board.


40.10: The siren goes as the Waratahs are on attack. They keep the ball alive and send the ball wide.


41.00: Benn Robinson appears over the line with the ball – referee checks – it’s a try.


42.00: Halangahu takes the conversion and nails it. That’s it – half time.


The half time score was Waratahs 23 Cheetahs 3


The second half is underway.


43.00: The Waratahs get the perfect start as Al Baxter scores his first try in Super Rugby history on the day he earned his 100th Super Rugby cap.


44.00: Daniel Halangahu takes the conversion and misses.


45.00: Kurtley Beale takes an intercept pass and darts off – he is chased by Danwel Demas but manages to get the ball down for the bonus point try.


46.00: Halangahu misses the conversion.


50.00: The Cheetahs attack but they kick the ball up and Beale takes the ball and makes the mark. Tatafu Polota-Nau comes off for the Waratahs.


54.00: The Waratahs manage to create a break and Drew Mitchell runs making some good ground but

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.