Tigers and Ospreys draw at Welford Road

Leicester Tigers drew with the Ospreys 32 all at Welford Road in Leicester England on Sunday but the Tigers came away with three points for the draw and a bonus point for scoring four tries.


Leicester Tigers started strongly and scored the first try of the match when Anthony Allen broke free from the Ospreys defence and passed to Scott Hamilton sent a long pass out to Johne Murphy who had a lot of work to do but showed some pace and then powered over for the try whilst being tackled in the 3rd minute.


Leicester’s first choice kicker Jeremy Staunton missed the conversion but nailed a penalty shortly after.


After Leicester had dominated the first ten minutes the Ospreys started to gain the upper hand and slotted two penalties and a drop goal to take the lead.


The Ospreys continued to take the game to the Tigers and the pressure paid off when they opened up the Tigers defence and Shane Williams was able to score their first try.


A short while later the Ospreys exposed the lack of familiarity in the Tigers backline and pressure on Staunton forced him to send a poor pass out to Billy Twelvetrees who lost the ball only for Ospreys regular winger Tommy Bowe who was playing at centre to gather the ball and run in an easy try under the posts.


At 8-26 to the Ospreys with half time approaching Leicester hit back as Billy Twelvetrees showed some real pace and scored a try which he converted three minutes from time.


A Mike Phillips indiscretion when Twelvetrees was scoring his try saw the Tigers being awarded a penalty from the restart.


After two missed kicks from Staunton Twelvetrees took a shot at goal from the half way line but hit the posts. He had another shot a short while later and again missed but the second time by a further margin.


With the Ospreys leading 15-26 at half time Leicester had a lot of work to do if they were going to retain their 17 match unbeaten run at home.


Rather confusingly Leicester came out for the second half with Anthony Allen still in the change rooms and his replacement was forward Craig Newby.


The Ospreys dead-eye kicker Dan Biggar landed an early penalty in the second half but Scott Hamilton opened up the Ospreys defence and put the Tigers new winger Amorosino away for their third try.


Some further fancy running by Scott Hamilton and some excellent work by the Leicester Tigers forwards helped the Tigers dominate the first 30 minutes of the second half.


Both teams then exchanged penalties but the Tigers were still 7 points adrift of the Ospreys.


With five minutes left on the clock Billy Twelvetrees broke free from the Ospreys defence and got the ball to Jeremy Staunton who went down in the tackle but got back up and powered over for a crucial try.


Man of the match Twelvetrees converted the try and the scores were level and that’s the way it finished.


Leicester head coach Richard Cockerill: “We had players unavailable and pulling out at the last minute but the attitude to just go out and play and not give up is what this side is about.


“The spirit of the players was fantastic. I knew we would take the game to them and we could have won it at the end.


“I thought we out-played them for large parts of the game.” he told the BBC.


“We pride ourselves on having people who want to play for us and not for the money. You can buy a t

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.