Lions get their first win in Australia

Perth’s Subiaco Oval was the venue where two sides , both brimming with confidence after pulling off major upsets last week, went head to head in what could prove to be a crucial moment for both in their 2007 campaigns.

The Lions came out determined to win this match and got off to a great start running close to the Force’s line in the first minute. The pressure paid off and they picked up a penalty which Strydom slotted. He then took another one.

Jaque Fourie scored a try for the Lions and Strydom converted.

The Force answered back with a great try by Cameron Shepherd but he then rushed the kick and missed the conversion. He took a bit more time for the next penalty but missed that one too.


Drew Mitchell sold Jaque Fourie a great dummy pass as he broke through the Lions defence taking 5 players with him. Gareth Hardy was the man on the end and he scored the Force’s second try.


Strydom took a shot at goal for a high tackle but missed.


The Force continue to attack well and prop Troy Takiari almost scored another try for the Force but the pass went to ground instead.


With two minutes before half time the Force were awarded a penalty to the left of the posts. Shepherd took his time with the kick and slotted it putting the Force 5 points clear at half time.

The Lions were the first to score in the second half when Strydom scored a penalty for the Lions. Henjak then gave away a penalty as and Strydom slotted another penalty putting the Lions into the lead at 19 points to 18.


Strydom was then replaced by Andre Pretorius who took a shot at goal but hit the posts.


The Force Cameron Shepherd put the Force back in the lead with another penalty. As the lead kept changing sides Andre Pretorius sent a drop goal through the posts to put the Lions back in front.


Straight after that the Force were awarded a penalty but Shepherd missed the kick. Next was Pretorius’ turn at goal and he too missed.


Shepherd had a chance to put the Force in front but missed a kick from near the line. With 3 minutes left on the clock the Lions gave away a penalty 46 metres out so Shepherd kicked at the posts and put the Force into the lead.


Henjak again gave away a penalty which gave the Lions a chance at goal.  Pretorius slotted it and the Lions lead again.


As the Force attacked keeping the ball in motion the Force passed the ball to Giteau who had a shocker attempt at a drop goal and the final whistle went.


The Force have still not won at home.


 After full time the score is Force 24 – Lions 25



Tries – Cameron Shepherd,Gareth Hardy
Penalty – Cameron Shepherd 4
Conv. – Cameron Shepherd


Tries – Jaque Fourie
Penalty – Louis Strydom (4),Pretorius
Conv. – Louis Strydom
Drop -Andre Pretorius


Western Force: 15 Drew Mitchell, 14 Scott Staniforth, 13 Ryan Cross, 12 Junior Pelesasa, 11 Cameron Shepherd, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Matt Henjak, 8 Scott Fava, 7 Matt Hodgson, 6 Luke Doherty, 5 Nathan Sharpe (c), 4 Rudi Vedelago, 3 Troy Takiari, 2 Brendan Cannon, 1 Gareth Hardy,
Replacements: 16 Tai McIsaac, 17 Angus Scott, 18 Richard Brown, 19 David Pocock, 20 Chris O’Young, 21 James Hilgendorf, 22 Haig Sare.

Lions: 15 Louis Ludik, 14 Wylie Human, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Doppies La Grange, 11 Jaco Pretorius, 10 Louis Strydom, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Willie Alberts, 7 Ernst Joubert (c), 6 Cobus Grobbelaar, 5 Gordon Gilfillan, 4 Anton van Zyl, 3 Bertus Smit, 2 Et

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.