Brumbies end Waratahs unbeaten run

The Brumbies ended the Waratahs unbeaten run in the 2009 Super 14 with a 21-11 victory in Canberra but failed to pick up a bonus point for four tries.

The Waratahs who had been unbeaten and had picked up bonus points for scoring four tries twice in their first four matches left the match scoring no competition points at all.

The Brumbies played with enthusiasm and showed glimpses of the form they had in their former glory years as they managed to open up the Waratahs defence on several occasions.

The attitude that the Brumbies brought to the game was a complete reversal from their defeat two weeks ago against the Force before their bye.

The Brumbies Adam Ashley-Cooper (pictured) scored the first of two tries – both in the second half – and the Waratahs could only muster two Kurtley Beale penalties and a late Lachie Turner try.

The home side led 6-3 at half-time after the Waratahs failed to capitalise on a wealth of possession and territory over the first 40 minutes.

It was a different story in the second period as the Brumbies overran a dispirited Waratahs and piled on 15 points before the Tahs scored a late consolation try.

The Waratahs opened the stronger than the Brumbies and played with far more adventure than against the Reds last weekend.

They dominated the early possession but could not break the Brumbies’ defence and were made to pay when Brumbies fullback Mark Gerrard booted a penalty to open the scoring after 10 minutes.

Gerrard extended the lead with another penalty 20 minutes later when Waratahs No.8 Wycliff Paul entered the ruck from the wrong side and was shown a yellow card.

The Waratahs had a number of chances to even the score but flyhalf Kurtley Beale missed three simple penalty attempts.

However, on the stroke of half-time Beale finally found his range as he put the Waratahs on the board with the last action of the half.

The Brumbies showed more adventure at the start of the second half, attacking the Waratahs line at pace and at last stringing some passes together.

They threw themselves at the Waratahs line and were rewarded when the Tahs ran out of defenders and Brumbies winger Adam Ashley-Cooper crossed in the corner.

Beale narrowed the gap to 11-6 after the Brumbies were penalised for a scrum infringement right in front of the posts, but as the match wore on the Brumbies began to exert more and more control, running the Waratahs defence ragged with their trademark ball control and support play.

They went further ahead when prop Ben Alexander barged over close to the posts following a brilliant 60 metre break from inside centre Tyrone Smith.

Gerrard converted to make it 18-6 with 15 minutes remaining then made the game safe for the Brumbies with a penalty with only five minutes left in the match.

The Waratahs salvaged some pride with a try to Lachie Turner in the closing stages but it was not enough.


Final score Brumbies 21  Waratahs 11




Tries -Adam Ashley-Cooper,Ben Alexander
Penalties -Mark Gerrard 3
Conversions -Mark Gerrard
Drop Goals –

Tries -Lachie Turner
Penalties -Kurtley Beale 2
Conversions –
Drop Goals –
Cards – Yellow -(32) Wycliff Palu


Venue: Canberra Stadium
Kick-off: Friday 13 March, 7.40pm (AEDT)
Referee: Mark Lawrence (SA)
Ass. Refs: Paul Marks (Aus), Pro Legoete (SA)
TMO: Geoff Acton (Aus)
Assessor: Wayne Erickson (Aus) 

Attendance : 21 500




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.