Bath too hot for Glasgow

Bath came back in the second half from a half time deficit at The Rec to beat visitors Glasgow by 35 points to 31 after Glasgow came back at the death to make the result much closer.

Both teams score five tries each ensuring that both teams picked up a bonus point for scoring four tries or more.

The man of the match award went to Thom Evans of Glasgow for his three tries, but they weren’t enough to prevent the home side from securing the victory.

The Scottish side opened the scoring in the sixth minute when Evans evaded a number of tackles to dot down under the posts. Scrumhalf Colin Gregor calmly slotted the conversion.

Flyhalf Butch James put his side on the board with a penalty in the 17th minute after Tom Cheeseman found himself on the wrong end of a high tackle. James took the kick near the halfway line with the ease that comes from experience.

Glasgow had a chance to extend their lead, against the run of play, but Gregor missed the penalty in the 28th minute. Before that, his side had kept Bath at bay with some ferocious defending and the home side would have been astonished at how they didn’t have a try at that point.

A flurry of points followed just before the break, with Bath scoring a try in the 33rd minute through Andy Beattie. The big flanker got his hand on a spilled ball over the line, which the TMO awarded as a try. James bottled the conversion.

Glasgow then scored a try of their own three minutes later, with Evans bagging his second score behind the posts after some excellent backline work. Gregor snapped up the bonus points, before James slotted a penalty to make it 11-14 into the break.

Bath took the lead just after the restart, when right winger Michael Stephenson stormed over the tryline. James converted the effort before slotting a penalty minutes later to put the score on 21-14.

Stephenson’s joy soon turned to dismay though as he fumbled the ball on his own tryline to hand Evans his hat-trick. Gregor’s conversion hit the upright though, thus maintaining Bath’s lead.

Stephenson scored his second try of the game in the 59th minute, storming through numerous tackles to dive over before James converted. Replacement Shaun Berne added another score soon after, flying down the wing to dive over in the corner. James converted to make it 35-19 and give Bath a good cushion.

Glasgow substitute Hefin O’Hare reduced the gap with seven minutes to go with a try on the left after a great run, but Gregor missed the conversion.


Rory Jackson made sure the game stayed alive with a try a few minutes later, intercepting a Bath pass to score under the poles.

The conversion made it 35-31, and the Rec crowd became oddly quiet until the whistle blew.


Final Score Bath 35 (11) Glasgow 31 (14)


Tries – Beattie, Stephenson 2, Berne
Pen – James 3
Con – James 3

Tries – Evans 3, O’Hare, Jackson
Pen –
Con – Gregor 2, Jackson

Referee: Alain Rolland (Ireland)


Bath Rugby: N Abendanon; M Stephenson, T Cheeseman, E Fuimaono, M Banahan; B James, M Claassens; D Flatman, P Dixon, M Stevens, S Hooper, D Grewcock, A Beattie, M Lipman [capt], D Browne

Replacements: L Mears, A Jarvis, P Short, J Faamatuainu, S Bemand, S Berne, A Higgins

Glasgow Warriors: B Stortoni; L Fa’atau, M Evans, A Henderson, T Evans; R Jackson, C Gregor; K Tkachuk, D Hall, E Kalman, T Barker, A Kellock, K Brown, J Barclay, J Beattie

Replacements: E Milligan, M Low, D Turner, R Vernon, S Pinder, H O’Hare, J Nunez Piossek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.