Barkley still wants England place

England and Bath fly-half Olly Barkley says that he remains focused on his rugby career despite his impending court case that has the potential to take him out of the game for some time.


Barkley will appear at magistrates court on Tuesday after being charged with assault on a guest at a wedding last year.


“The case is not distracting me and my mind is firmly on the job,” said Barkley who has signed to play for Gloucester next season.


Barkley has already won 21 England caps and he is confident that he still has what it takes to play for England.


“I’ve been told by Brian (Ashton) that once the pending court case gets resolved – as I expect it to be – in the next few weeks then I can come back into the England squad,” he told the BBC.


“It’s up to me to keep playing as best as I can and hopefully when the call comes from England then I’ll be ready.”


Barkley also goes on to say that the decision to move to Guinness Premiership rivals Gloucester next season was purely rugby-based and had nothing to do with money.


“It was a very tough decision and it would have been more beneficial financially for me to stay at Bath because they put it an excellent offer,” he said.


“But it was purely a rugby decision to leave and I feel it’s time to get out of what has been a comfort zone.”


Rugbyweek.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close